Here are my top 30 tight ends for Week 1, citing standard-scoring leagues only.
This countdown doesn’t lean on a particular stat. It’s merely an educated best guess of which tight ends will tally the best combination of total yards and touchdowns for the NFL’s opening weekend.
Regardless of how these rankings shake out every week, it shouldn’t supersede two important factors that go into regular lineup consideration:
1. Always play your healthy superstars.
2. Always ride your gut instinct over a certain guru’s analysis (read: plausible deniability).
Top 30 Tight Ends
1. Jimmy Graham @ Atlanta
2. Julius Thomas vs. Indianapolis
3. Vernon Davis @ Dallas
4. Jordan Cameron @ Pittsburgh
5. Jared Cook vs. Minnesota
6. Kyle Rudolph @ St. Louis
7. Dennis Pitta vs. Cincinnati
8. Zach Ertz vs. Jacksonville
9. Rob Gronkowski @ Miami
10. Jordan Reed @ Houston
11. Jason Witten vs. San Francisco
12. Coby Fleener @ Denver
13. Greg Olsen @ Tampa Bay
14. Travis Kelce vs. Tennessee
15. Antonio Gates @ Arizona
16. Garrett Graham vs. Washington
17. Martellus Bennett vs. Buffalo
18. Charles Clay vs. New England
19. Ladarius Green @ Arizona
20. Eric Ebron vs. N.Y. Giants
21. Jace Amaro vs. Oakland
22. Marcedes Lewis @ Philadelphia
23. Jermaine Gresham @ Baltimore
24. Delanie Walker @ Kansas City
25. Zach Miller vs. Green Bay
26. Heath Miller vs. Cleveland
27. John Carlson vs. San Diego
28. Tyler Eifert @ Baltimore
29. Mychal Rivera @ N.Y. Jets
30. Austin Seferian-Jenkins vs. Carolina
Jay Clemons, the 2008 Fantasy Football Writer of the Year (Fantasy Sports Writers Association), can be reached via Twitter, day or night, at @FOX_JayClemons.