1. Saint Louis (12-2, 0-0) Previous week: 12/27 vs Texas Southern: 71-39 W 12/31 at New Mexico: 60-64 L On Deck: 1/4 at Dayton 1/7 vs George Washington Of note: Brian Conklin had 20 points and 9 rebounds in the loss to New Mexico. The senior forward is fifth in the nation in field goal percentage at 66.1%.
2. Xavier (9-4, 0-0) Previous Week:
12/25 vs Southern Illinois 87-77 W
12/31 vs Gonzaga 65-72 L On Deck:
1/4 at La Salle
1/7 at Fordham Of note:
Xavier continues to struggle post-brawl, losing four of five. The
Musketeers will be back to full strength and should get things back on
3. Saint Joseph’s (10-4, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/28 vs Morgan State 81-50 W 12/31 at #24 Harvard 69-74 L On Deck: 12/4 at Duquesne 12/7 vs Charlotte Of note: The Hawks came out on fire in the first half against Harvard, shooting 19 of 24, but made only eight of 27 in the second. Held 11 point lead over the Crimson with a little over 10 minutes to play, yet could not finish the upset.
4. Temple (9-3, 0-0) Previous Week:
12/28 vs Buffalo 87-85 OT W
12/30 at Delaware 66-63 W On Deck:
1/4 vs #5 Duke
1/7 vs Dayton Of note: The Owls were able to squeak out an overtime victory against Buffalo, keeping their home win streak alive at 25. 5. UMass (11-3, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/30 vs Central Connecticut State 97-65 W On Deck: 1/5 vs Fordham 1/8 at La Salle Of note: 6-foot-9 sophomore forward Raphiael Putney continues to develop his game, scoring 18 points (including 9 points from behind the arc) and grabbing eight rebounds in the UMass victory over CCSU.
6. Dayton (10-4, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/30 vs Mississippi 62-50 W On Deck: 1/4 vs Saint Louis 1/7 at Temple Of note: Losing 6-foot-9 junior forward Josh Benson for the year with a torn ACL hurts the flyers. He was second on the team in scoring at 10.9 points per game, and second in rebounding at 5.2 per game.
7. Duquesne (9-5, 0-0) Previous Week:
12/28 vs Bowling Green 86-76 W
12/31 vs Houston Baptist 118-72 W On Deck:
1/4 vs St. Joseph’s
12/7 vs St. Bonaventure Of note:
B.J. Monteiro had quite the night for the Dukes in their lopsided
victory over Houston Baptist. The 6-foot-5 senior had 24 points and 14
rebounds while also becoming a member of the 1,000 point club for
Duquesne. 8. La Salle (10-4, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/29 vs Boston 70-53 W 12/31 vs Hartford 73-55 W On Deck: 1/4 vs Xavier 1/8 vs UMass Of note: Ramon Galloway and Tyreek Duren each scored 19 points in the win over Hartford. The Explorers have won eight of their last nine.
9. St. Bonaventure(7-5, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/30 at Niagara 72-70 W On Deck: 1/4 vs George Washington 1/7 at Duquesne Of note: The victory over Niagara completed the first-ever sweep over their Big Four rivals Buffalo, Canisius and Niagara.
10. Richmond (9-6, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/28 vs Liberty 77-61 W 12/30 vs UNC Greensboro 78-58 W On Deck: 1/4 at Charlotte 1/7 at Rhode Island Of note: Darrius Garrett set the school record for career blocked shots against UNC Greensboro, finishing with 6 on the night. Garrett has 60 blocked shots on the season, and his 4.0 blocks per game ranks fifth in the nation.
11. Charlotte (7-5, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/28 at Arkansas 67-80 L 12/31 at Memphis 58-67 L On Deck: 1/4 vs Richmond 1/7 at St. Joseph’s Of note: Charlotte shot a season-low 24.6 percent from the field against Memphis, and have lost three straight after winning five in a row.
12. Fordham (6-6, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/29 vs Georgia Tech 72-66 W On Deck: 1/3 vs #22 Harvard 1/5 at UMass 1/7 vs Xavier Of note: Chris Gaston recorded his NCAA-leading tenth double-double of the season against Georgia Tech, scoring 23 points and snagging 18 rebounds in the victory.
13. George Washington (5-8, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/28 vs UAB 49-56 L 12/31 vs Delaware State 77-59 W On Deck: 1/4 at St. Bonaventure 1/7 at Saint Louis Of note: The victory against Delaware State snapped a seven-game losing streak for the Colonials.
14. Rhode Island (2-12, 0-0) Previous Week: 12/29 vs James Madison 79-60 W 12/30 at Central Florida 54-65 L On Deck: 1/2 at Boston College 1/7 vs Richmond Of note: The indefinite suspension of leading scorer Jamal Wilson makes a bad situation worse for the Rams.