Hall of Fame wide receiver Art Monk has joined the more than 2,000 former NFL players who have filed lawsuits against the league over its handling of concussions through the years.
Article continues below ...
The Washington Times reported Thursday that the 54-year-old Monk is the lead plaintiff on an 82-page lawsuit filed last week in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Like most of the numerous other lawsuits, Monk argues the league knew the long-term effects that repeated concussions would have on players and concealed the information.
The league has steadfastly denied keeping such data hidden from players.
"Players who suffered concussions were told by the NFL and its agents not to be overly concerned, and were regularly returned to game action mere minutes after sustaining them," said the lawsuit, which also targets helmet maker Riddell Inc.
Monk states in the filing he suffers from "short term memory loss, headaches and speech difficulties" after sustaining multiple concussions during his career from 1980-95.
The first lawsuit over concussions was filed against the NFL in July 2011, and a string of others have since been filed.
The Times reports at least 140 former Redskins are involved in the legal actions, including the MVP of Super Bowl XXVI, quarterback Mark Rypien.
Monk, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2008, won three Super Bowls with the Redskins and finished his career with 940 catches, 12th on the all-time list.