Hurricanes skate past Senators

Ron Hainsley and the Hurricanes have earned at least one point in 15 of their past 18 games against the Senators.

OTTAWA, Ontario  — Nathan Gerbe and Justin Faulk each had a goal and an assist to lead the Carolina Hurricanes to a 3-2 victory over the Ottawa Senators on Saturday night.

Brad Malone also scored for the Hurricanes and Anton Khudobin made 30 saves.

Cody Ceci and Mark Stone scored for the Senators, who were unable to get any puck possession in the Carolina zone after pulling Craig Anderson for an extra attacker in the final 2 minutes.

Anderson finished with 25 saves.

Gerbe scored the winner with a little under 6 minutes to play in the third period when his shot from 15 feet inside the blue line appeared to hit something on the way to the net before getting past Anderson.

The teams entered the third period tied 1-1, but each team scored in the first 3 minutes of the final frame.

Stone gave the Senators their first lead of the game when he beat Khudobin high to the glove side just a minute into the period, but Faulk tied it at 2:21.

Erik Karlsson had two chances to give the Senators another lead but was stopped by Khudobin on a breakaway on one opportunity and then stopped by the post on another.

The Senators had the majority of opportunities in the first period but it was the Hurricanes who led 1-0 after 20 minutes.

After several turnovers along the side boards the puck went behind the goal line at the side of the Senators net where Patrick Dwyer won a battle with Ottawa defenseman Patrick Wiercioch and fed Malone in front of the net for the first goal of the game with 32 seconds left in the period.

It didn’t take the Senators long to respond as Ceci scored 4:39 into the second period.

There was an ugly incident not long after as Eric Staal caught Senators defenseman Jared Cowen in the mouth with his stick as he took a full swing at a puck that was on its way down following a high bounce.

Staal took a double minor as Cowen left the ice with a bloodied mouth, although he did return to the game.