Reports: Kaepernick investigated in ‘suspicious incident’ in Miami

The San Francisco 49ers say they are aware of reports by media outlets that their star quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, is being investigated on allegations of a "suspicious incident" in Miami, and that the team "is in the process of gathering the pertinent facts."

TMZ broke the story initially and referred to allegations of "sexual assault," but a copy of the police report makes no specific mention of that, and it is not entirely clear exactly what happened.

The TMZ Sports story published Thursday cites "law enforcement sources" who claim the incident happened in Miami earlier this month.  

The story says no charges have been filed in the allegations, and it cites the law enforcment sources as saying that the investigation is in its "beginning stages."

In a statement released Thursday, the team says "the 49ers organization is aware of the recent media report regarding Colin Kaepernick and is in the process of gathering the pertinent facts."

The Sacramento Bee reports that Miami police are calling it a "suspicious incident" and that authorities say it also involves 49ers receiver Quinton Patton and former San Francisco receiver Ricardo Lockette, now with the Seattle Seahawks. Below is directly from the Bee’s reporting:

According to the report, the incident occurred April 1 when a woman went to Lockette’s apartment in Miami at 9 p.m. Kaepernick and Patton were there, and the woman made drinks and served shots to the players. She was also told "to drink the shots she had to ‘hit’ the bong which contained marijuana," the report said.

The report continues to say that the woman felt light headed and went to a bedroom where she was later joined by Kaepernick, 26, with whom she had a sexual relationship in the past. Kaepernick then left the bedroom. The two did not have sex, she said in the report. The report says that Patton, 23, and Lockette, 27, peeked inside the bedroom and that the woman yelled at them to get out.

According to the report, the woman does not remember anything about the night after that. She woke up in a hospital bed the following morning not knowing how she got there. The woman, whose name is redacted, reported the incident to police on April 3.