NFL rumors: Week 14 news on injuries, suspensions, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
Thanks to a 21-point explosion in the second quarter (and a few big plays from Tyreek Hill), the Kansas City Chiefs picked up a 21–13 win over the Oakland Raiders on Thursday night. With the win, the Chiefs take control of the AFC West. Both Oakland and Kansas City are tied at 10–3, but the Chiefs won both regular season games.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Chiefs hope to get running back Jamaal Charles back for the playoffs, reports NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. Charles has undergone two knee surgeries this year.
• Linebacker Derrick Johnson left the Thursday night game with an Achilles injury and did not return. Head coach Andy Reid said after the game it's a ruptured Achilles.
• The Raiders drafted quarterback Derek Carr and linebacker Khalil Mack in the same draft class, but the one they picked second will get priority. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports the Raiders will focus on extending Carr before getting Mack a new deal.
• Jordan Reed missed last week's game with an AC join separation in his shoulder, but told the Washington Post he's “optimistic” he can play this week. The Washington Redskins tight end said it's painful, but something he can play through.
• Quarterback Trevor Siemian returned to practice Thursday in a limited capacity for the Denver Broncos. Head coach Gary Kubiak told the Denver Post Siemian is “progressing the right way.”
• The New England Patriots are signing wide receiver Griff Whalen, reports Rapoport. The plan is to have Whalen fill-in for the injured Danny Amendola.
• The New York Jets have placed center Nick Mangold on injured reserve, the team announced. He's battled an ankle injury this year.