BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– PITTSBURGH – The Stanley Cup champion Penguins open the Eastern Conference finals against an Ottawa Senators team backed by Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson. Game starts 7 p.m.
– ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Predators, lifted by an opening overtime victory, face the Anaheim Ducks in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals Sunday. Nashville is 9-2 in the postseason.
– OAKLAND, Calif. – The Golden State Warriors are rested and coming off two straight sweeps when they begin the Western Conference finals Sunday against the banged-up San Antonio Spurs.
– PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Louis Oosthuizen and Kyle Stanley are up by two shots entering the third round at The Players Championship. Vijay Singh, the 54-year-old surprise, is three behind.
– KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Less than a week after being subjected to racial slurs at Fenway Park, Orioles outfielder Adam Jones tours the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
– PHOENIX – A night after Arizona’s Chris Iannetta was bloodied by a pitch to the face, the Diamondbacks and Pirates resume a tense series. Pittsburgh has lost 6 in a row. Game starts 8:10 p.m.
– BOSTON – Red Sox ace Chris Sale is on the mound when Boston takes on the Tampa Bay Rays. Sale has struck out at least 10 in six straight starts. Game starts 1:05 p.m.
– KANSAS CITY, Kan. – Ryan Blaney is on the pole for the first time when NASCAR’s Cup Series runs under the lights. Joey Logano starts second and Martin Truex Jr. third. Race starts 7:30 p.m.
– INDIANAPOLIS – Will Power has pole position for the IndyCar Grand Prix, trying to give Team Penske its third straight victory. Race starts 3:50 p.m.
– NEW YORK – Tina Charles and the New York Liberty open the WNBA season against San Antonio. The Stars are without top pick Kelsey Plum, who has a sprained ankle. Game starts 3 p.m.
– DALLAS – Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic defends his title against former champion Junior Dos Santos in a rematch at UFC 211. Main card starts 10 p.m.
– MADRID – Rafael Nadal tries to end a seven-match winless streak against defending champion Novak Djokovic in the Madrid Open semifinals.
– COLOGNE, Germany – The United States rallies from two goals down to beat Latvia 5-3 and move to the top of its group with its fourth victory at the hockey world championships.
– In the next-to-last weekend in the English Premier League, Arsenal looks for a victory in its bid to overtake Liverpool for the last Champions League spot.