Villeneuve to make NASCAR bid in Indy

BY foxsports • July 16, 2010

Former Indianapolis 500 champion and Formula One star Jacques Villeneuve is heading back to the Brickyard.

Villeneuve will attempt to qualify the No. 32 Toyota for Braun Racing in NASCAR's annual Cup visit to the historic 2.5-mile oval on July 25.

Villeneuve drove for Braun Racing in the Nationwide Series race at Road America last month, qualifying second and leading three laps before an electrical problem late in the race relegated him to 25th.

''We had a very exciting and solid race last month at (Road America),'' Villeneuve said. ''I had hoped it would result in additional opportunities for the organization.''

The 39-year-old Canadian won the Indy 500 and the CART season championship in 1995 while driving for Team Green. He then moved on to F1, winning the points championship in 1997.

''I have a lot of good memories at the Brickyard,'' Villeneuve said. ''Winning the Indy 500 was a very big highlight in my career. This will be my first venture in a stock car there, but I am confident that we will do well.''

Villeneuve hasn't raced full-time on any circuit since 2005. He's bounced around several NASCAR series the last five years and has made two Cup starts, both in 2007.


in this topic

share story