Conor McGregor says boxing, WWE and Hollywood all want him right now
Conor McGregor has a lot of options for his future, but they don’t all include fighting in the UFC.
As McGregor settles in for a holiday break after an action-packed 2016, the current UFC lightweight champion makes it clear that he’s the hottest commodity in sports right now with offers coming in from several different outlets away from mixed martial arts.
Just recently, McGregor received his boxing license in the state of California with plans to pursue a license in other states as well in the near future.
Add onto that, McGregor says he’s being pursued by the WWE as well as opportunities in Hollywood, so his options are plentiful as he gets ready for 2017.
“I can go out and conquer the boxing scene as well. That’s a very serious thought. That’s a very serious conversation that’s happening,” McGregor told RTE Sport in Ireland.
“I’ve got those (professional) wrestling guys trying to contact me as well. I’ve got Hollywood trying to contact me as well. I’ve got so many options.”
WWE COO Paul Levesque — better known by his in ring name Triple H — has expressed interest in McGregor as recently as November when the outspoken Irishman became the first-ever simultaneous two-division champion in UFC history.
In Hollywood, McGregor actually turned down a role in the Vin Diesel led “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage” sequel to focus on his rematch with Nate Diaz and just recently scored a cameo on “Game of Thrones” season 7.
Conor McGregor talks to Clare McNamara after a year which he call the 'culmination of his life's work'. https://t.co/0AY8QPqGyu
— RTÉ Sport (@RTEsport) December 17, 2016
As far as boxing is concerned, McGregor has been attached to former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather for almost all of 2016 as the two combat sports superstars have battled back and forth in a war of words in interviews and social media.
Mayweather was actually the culprit behind starting the rumor about a fight with McGregor earlier this year and the proposed bout has dominated the headlines ever since.
McGregor has stated numerous times that he would accept the fight with Mayweather, but also makes it clear that right now he could face anyone in the world and it would draw huge numbers for attendance and pay-per-view.
“I’ve got the boxing license. His last pay-per-view was 350,000 buys. It was a flop. The fight was a dud. His last two fights have been duds,” McGregor said about Mayweather. “So I certainly don’t need him. I could pick some local schmuck and still do big numbers. So that’s where I’m at.
“Of course the Floyd fight is the fight the public wants to see. It’s the fight we all want to happen but we’ll see. These things take time.”
It’s clear that McGregor has a lot of options for 2017, but ultimately this could all be a negotiating tactic as he awaits a meeting with the new UFC owners from WME-IMG.
After winning the lightweight title in November, McGregor said that he wanted to have a talk with the new owners before returning to the Octagon, and it appears he’s still waiting to sit down with them.
McGregor makes no bones that 2017 will be a fruitful year for him — regardless of whether or not he’s fighting inside the Octagon.