Gomel test for Liverpool

Gomel test for Liverpool

Published Jul. 27, 2012 1:00 a.m. ET

Liverpool will face FC Gomel in the Europa League third qualifying round after the Belarusian side completed a 2-1 aggregate victory over FK Renova of Macedonia.

Gomel lost Thursday night's second qualifying round second leg 1-0 at home to Renova following a 56th-minute goal from Ersen Asani but their 2-0 lead from the first leg ultimately proved enough to send them through to a clash with Liverpool.

The first leg, which will be the first competitive game in charge of the Reds for new manager Brendan Rodgers, will take place in Gomel on August 2, with the return match being played at Anfield on August 9.

St Patrick's booked their spot in the final qualifying round thanks to Christy Fagan's extra-time winner against Siroki Brijeg.


Fagan struck in the 105th minute to seal a 2-1 win on the night and a 3-2 victory on aggregate for Liam Buckley's side, who now face German club Hannover.

St Patrick's had earlier seen the 39th-minute lead given to them by John Russell cancelled out by Ivica Dzidic's 65th-minute equaliser, sending the tie to extra time after the first leg had also finished 1-1.

It was not such a good night for Sligo and Portadown, though, with both bidding farewell to the competition.

St Patrick's' domestic rivals Sligo were knocked out 4-2 on aggregate by Slovakian outfit Spartak Trnava after only managing a 1-1 draw at The Showgrounds in Thursday night's second leg.

Peter Cvirik gave Spartak a 70th-minute with Jason McGuinness' equaliser in stoppage time for Sligo.

Northern Irish side Portadown were sent tumbling after a comprehensive 10-2 aggregate defeat at the hands of Slaven Koprivnica.

The Croatian side had done all the hard work in the first leg as they took a 6-0 lead for the trip to Shamrock Park.

Goals from Igor Bubnjic (10), Petar Brlek (14) and Martin Saban (62 and 64) earned the visitors a 4-2 victory on Thursday night.

Portadown's replies came from Richard Lecky (45) and Neil McCafferty (67).

St Johnstone briefly threatened an upset after Gregory Tade's debut goal but it wasn't to be as a 1-1 draw saw Eskisehirspor progress with a 3-1 win on aggregate.

Former Inverness forward Tade headed home in the latter stages of a first half of few chances to give the Perth side hope of overturning Eskisehirspor's 2-0 first-leg lead.

Nigel Hasselbaink came close to levelling matters on aggregate but former Celtic striker Diomansy Kamara drove the ball across goal for Veysel Sari to slot home in the 51st minute.

The Turkish side soon took full control of the second qualifying-round contest to deprive Saints of a glamour tie against Marseille.