Carroll omission would rile AW
Carroll's participation at next month's finals is shrouded in mystery after Pearce delayed announcing his England squad until next week. Pearce has already informed at least two players of their fate, Arsenal manager Wenger yesterday confirming Jack Wilshere's selection, with Scott Loach having revealed on Wednesday that he himself had not made the cut. Wenger was opposed to Wilshere being drafted into the squad due to fears over burnout and believes giving Liverpool striker Carroll permission to withdraw could be interpreted as double-standards. "I don't think he will do it because that is opening the door for any other complaints," Wenger said. "Players react like that, 'If he doesn't go, why do I go?' "That could be a dangerous game to leave Carroll behind. "It could create many other problems. "I would not be the first on the phone but there would be no logic in the attitude of selection." Carroll has endured an injury-hit second half of the season and is said to have questioned whether playing in the finals in Denmark could do him more harm than good ahead of the new campaign. Wenger added: "I could understand if Carroll doesn't go for injury problems but for fatigue problems it would be more difficult to convince people in England he is more tired than Jack Wilshere." It is fair to assume the vast majority of the 40-man provisional party named by Pearce earlier this month have now been made aware of whether they have made the final 23 and full details of the squad were expected to be released yesterday afternoon. But the Football Association then revealed it will now be announced on Monday, the same day as the senior squad for the June 4 European Championship qualifier against Switzerland. The FA claimed the decision to delay was made because it was felt it was better to wait until after Sunday's final round of Barclays Premier League games before going public. But the change will only serve to fuel speculation over the inclusion of Carroll. Like Wenger, Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has suggested he is not in favour of players being drafted back into the under-21 fold after graduating to the senior set-up. Wenger has also expressed concern about 19-year-old Wilshere suffering burnout as result of the number of games he has played for club and country this season.