Third annual Basketball Day Indiana set for Saturday, Jan. 19
FOX Sports Indiana, the Indiana Pacers, Indiana Fever and IHSAA today announced that the third annual Basketball Day Indiana, a full day of games and television coverage celebrating Indiana’s game, will take place Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019. Basketball Day Indiana is presented by St. Vincent.
FOX Sports Indiana will televise more than 14 hours of high school, college and Pacers coverage as part of Basketball Day Indiana 2019, and the celebration will expand beyond Indianapolis into communities throughout the state.
Highlights of Basketball Day Indiana 2019 will include:
• Six high school games: Two games will be played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse and three at North Daviess High School, including the historic Buggy Bowl rivalry game between Barr-Reeve and North Daviess. A sixth game will be streamed. NOTE: Admission is free to the two high school games at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
• Flags: Every IHSAA high school hosting a varsity game Friday or Saturday will receive a Basketball Day Indiana flag to display. The schools are encouraged to post photos to social media with the hashtag #BasketballDayIndiana.
• A statewide event … This year, Basketball Day goes statewide: High schools throughout the state are receiving Basketball Day flags; games will take place in Indianapolis, Odon and Lapel; and FOX Sports Indiana will report from West Lafayette and Terre Haute.
• … with national FOX Sports coverage: FOX will broadcast Indiana-Purdue and St. John’s-Butler to a national audience. Basketball Day Indiana will be part of the national broadcasts. In addition, FS2 and FCS will simulcast the high school games to a national audience.
• IU-Purdue Postgame: FOX Sports Indiana will produce expanded postgame coverage following the Indiana-Purdue game in West Lafayette.
• Indiana State: FOX Sports Indiana will report from Indiana State’s 1979 men’s basketball team reunion in Terre Haute.
• Pacers at Bankers Life Fieldhouse: Basketball Day will conclude with the Pacers’ home game vs. Dallas. FOX Sports Indiana will anchor coverage throughout the day from the entry pavilion of Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
• Hickory Night: Hall of Fame coach and broadcaster Bobby “Slick” Leonard will be honored during a Hickory Night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. In addition, FOX Sports Supports will make a donation to the Pacers Foundation in honor of Slick.
“Last year, schools and fans throughout the state told us they wanted to be a bigger part of Basketball Day Indiana. So we’re taking our cameras beyond Indianapolis — to Odon, West Lafayette, Terre Haute and more — and providing high schools throughout the state with Basketball Day banners, to make this a true statewide celebration of the sport,” said FOX Sports Indiana senior vice president and general manager Jack Donovan. “We thank our partners, the Pacers, Fever, IHSAA and St. Vincent, and the schools, fans and athletes who will make Basketball Day memorable.”
“Basketball Day Indiana fits perfectly with our brand of ‘We Grow Basketball Here,’ which celebrates and promotes our state’s beloved game at all levels,” said Rick Fuson, president and COO of Pacers Sports & Entertainment. “We embrace the opportunity to host the best of girls and boys high school basketball in Bankers Life Fieldhouse and conclude the festivities that evening when our Pacers host Dallas. We thank all of our partners for making this a must-see day of hoops, whether on FOX Sports Indiana or in person.”
“Once again we are excited to partner with our friends at FOX Sports Indiana and Bankers Life Fieldhouse to celebrate basketball in the Hoosier State,” said IHSAA commissioner Bobby Cox. “Basketball Day Indiana has become a highly anticipated event within the IHSAA membership and we are thrilled to expand both the coverage and recognition of this important occasion. Our sincere thanks are extended to FOX Sports Indiana along with the Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever for their tremendous support of high school basketball in our state.”
For more information on Basketball Day Indiana, visit FOXSportsIndiana.com and Pacers.com and check the hashtag #BasketballDayIndiana.
Basketball Day Indiana — Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019
(Times Eastern; schedule subject to change)
|8 a.m.||Indiana’s Game Classics||FOX Sports Indiana|
|10 a.m.||Basketball Day Live||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|10:30 a.m.||High School Boys: North Posey vs. Southridge||North Daviess High School||FOX Sports Indiana|
|12 p.m.||High School Girls: 3A #1 Northwestern vs. 4A #4 North Central||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|1 p.m.||High School Girls: 3A #8 Vincennes Lincoln vs. North Knox||North Daviess High School||FOX Sports Indiana Plus|
|2 p.m.||High School Boys: 4A #10 Zionsville vs. 4A #1 Warren Central||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|2 p.m.||Men’s College: Indiana at Purdue||Mackey Arena||FOX|
|3 p.m.||High School Boys: New Castle at Lapel||Lapel High School||FOX Sports app / IHSAAtv.org|
|4 p.m.||Basketball Day Live||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|4 p.m.||Men’s College: Northern Iowa at Valparaiso||The ARC||FOX Sports Indiana Plus|
|4:15 p.m.||IU-Purdue Postgame||Mackey Arena||FOX Sports Indiana|
|4:30 p.m.||High School Boys: 1A #4 Barr-Reeve at 2A #6 North Daviess||North Daviess High School||FOX Sports Indiana|
|4:30 p.m.||Men’s College: St. John’s at Butler||Hinkle Fieldhouse||FOX|
|6:30 p.m.||Pacers Live pregame||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|7 p.m.||NBA: Dallas Mavericks at Indiana Pacers||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|9:30 p.m.||Pacers Live postgame||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
|10 p.m.||Basketball Day Live||Bankers Life Fieldhouse||FOX Sports Indiana|
Basketball Day Indiana – By The Numbers
3 Third annual Basketball Day Indiana
6 Basketball Day TV coverage will include six Indiana cities
10 Ten games will be televised and/or streamed as part of Basketball Day Indiana
14 Hours of consecutive television programming
160 Approximate number of television crew members working on Basketball Day events
270 High schools that received Basketball Day flags and host varsity games Friday or Saturday
49 In 49 states it’s just basketball, but this is Indiana!
• Basketball Day Live: Brian Hammons (host)
• North Posey-Southridge, Vincennes Lincoln-North Knox and Barr-Reeve-North Daviess: Jeremiah Johnson (pxp) and Tully Bevilaqua (analyst)
• Northwestern-North Central: Pat Boylan (pxp) and Eddie Gill (analyst)
• Zionsville-Warren Central: Chris Denari (pxp) and Quinn Buckner (analyst)
• New Castle-Lapel: Greg Rakestraw (pxp) and Jan Boser
• Indiana-Purdue: Gus Johnson (pxp), Jim Jackson (analyst) and Andy Katz (reporter)
• Northern Iowa-Valparaiso: Jordan Bernfield (pxp) and Rich Zvosec (analyst)
• Indiana-Purdue postgame: Katie Hargitt (host)
• 1979 Indiana State Men’s Basketball Reunion coverage: Erica Weston (reporter)
• St. John’s-Butler: Tim Brando (pxp), Donny Marshall (analyst) and Lisa Byington (reporter)
• Mavericks-Pacers and Pacers Live: Chris Denari (pxp), Quinn Buckner (analyst), Pat Boylan (host/reporter), Jeremiah Johnson (reporter/host), Erica Weston (reporter/host)
About Basketball Day Indiana
Basketball Day Indiana is an annual celebration of the state’s unmatched connection to the sport. It showcases basketball at all levels with events and a full day of television programming that includes live games, interviews and features chronicling the impact of the sport in the state. The first Basketball Day Indiana took place Dec. 10, 2016, and the second on Jan. 6, 2018. Basketball Day Indiana is produced by FOX Sports Indiana, the Indiana Pacers, Indiana Fever and IHSAA.