Warnock relishing Toon clash
QPR recently returned to the top flight after a 15-year absence but got off to the worst possible start, losing 4-0 on the opening day to Bolton at Loftus Road. The Hoops managed a surprise 1-0 victory at Everton the following week before losing against Wigan, but Warnock does not believe much can be read into their results so far this season. Six new signings are vying for debuts in Monday's clash against Newcastle and Warnock believes he has a team capable of success. Asked whether the season starts now, he said: "Yeah, definitely. I thought that before the Wigan game. "I got lambasted after coming out of the Carling Cup and yet we played five (first team) players in that. "The other two promoted sides never played a player, yet they never got a mention. "What I said is when you pick up an injury liked Bradley Orr's, we could ill afford that and I'm glad we're out the competition and Bradley Orr's out for a few weeks. "If we had Bradley Orr at Wigan, I think we would have won the game but we had to go without a registered full-back. "We had to put a young kid on and it was a couple of weeks too soon. "Wigan got away lightly, I think. Even though we hit the post and bar three times, I thought if we had been steady we would have given them a better game. "I'm glad the (transfer) window has gone, it has given us a bit of a chance to regroup, given a chance for the new lads to settle in and Newcastle is sod's law it is going to be a time like that. "But I think it's great, I think it is fantastic me." Much of the talk in the build-up to Monday's encounter surrounds Joey Barton, who is set to make his R's debut against his former side. The 28-year-old was recently allowed to leave St James' Park on a free transfer after criticising the Newcastle's recruitment policy via Twitter. Barton now looks set to make his QPR debut against his former club, but Warnock was keen to downplay its significance. "I think Newcastle is a great club and yes you guys will be concentrating on Joey Barton, but the club is bigger than Joey Barton and the game is bigger than any individual," he said. "That's why both clubs have moved on and I am sure the fans will probably miss him more than the staff or the boardroom. "But you have to make decisions and you stick by them. "They run their own club and I don't think they've done a bad job, if I'm honest. "They've not spent £100million like everybody wants them to but they've got good players in. "And I think at the start of the season I think if they'd had 15 internationals on their books I don't think they would have got any more points."