The Latest: Judge allows rape convict to play football
CLEVELAND (AP) The Latest on an Ohio student convicted of rape as a teen seeking reinstatement to a college football team (all times local):
A judge has decided that a man convicted of rape as a teen in a highly publicized Ohio case will be temporarily reinstated to a college football team.
U.S. District Judge Benita Pearson Thursday granted Ma’lik Richmond, of Steubenville, a temporary restraining order against Youngstown State University, allowing him to play football for the next 14 days. She has scheduled a preliminary hearing for an injunction Sept. 28.
Richmond filed a federal lawsuit against the university Wednesday after the school allowed him to join the football team as a walk-on and then told him he couldn’t play this season.
He’s seeking reinstatement to the team’s active roster along with attorney fees and an unspecified amount of damages.
Youngstown State attorneys spoke in court Thursday but declined further comment.
A man who was convicted of rape as a teen and served nearly a year in a juvenile prison in a highly publicized case in Ohio has sued Youngstown State University after the school allowed him to join the football team as a walk-on and then told him he couldn’t play this season.
Ma’lik Richmond, of Steubenville, filed the federal lawsuit Wednesday. Richmond is asking for reinstatement to the team’s active roster, attorney fees and an unspecified amount of damages.
A university spokesman declined to comment.
A hearing is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at the federal courthouse in Youngstown.
Richmond made the team as a defensive player earlier this year after a tryout, but was told he couldn’t play and would lose a year’s eligibility after a student circulated a petition to keep him off the team.