Detroit Tigers Rumors: Rangers Linked with Justin Wilson
Detroit Tigers rumors season is here once again. With the Winter Meetings under way, the offseason is in full swing. According to the latest report, the Rangers are interested in Justin Wilson.
Detroit Tigers rumors are already swirling as December gets underway. Per the latest from veteran writer Evan Grant, the Texas Rangers are interested in one of Detroit’s relievers.
The Dallas Morning News writer tweeted on Tuesday morning, “Rangers have inquired about DET LHP Justin Wilson, middle-innings type. Prolly low chance of deal, but would create LH relief depth.”
Wilson is coming off his first season with the Tigers.
The left-hander also turned in a swinging strike percentage of 12.5, while punching out 9.97 batters per nine innings. At first glance, Wilson’s 4.14 ERA doesn’t inspire too much confidence, but the reliever did post some excellent numbers where other run-prevention metrics are concerned.
In 58.2 innings of work, the ex-Yankee pitched to a 3.18 FIP, a 3.24 xFIP and a 3.02 SIERA.
The trade looks like a win at this point for the Tigers considering Wilson is controllable through 2018.
Based on his solid numbers, it certainly isn’t surprising that other teams are interested in the power reliever.
- 12/6 – Detroit Tigers Rumors: Rangers Linked with Justin Wilson
- 12/6 – Detroit Tigers Never Shopped Francisco Rodriguez
- 12/5 – Detroit Tigers: Hot Stove Updates for Martinez & Kinsler
- 12/5 – Detroit Tigers: Five Non-Tendered Players Who Are Potential Fits
- 12/4 – Detroit Tigers: Predicting Few Changes to the 2017 Team
Texas’s Best Trade Chips
It remains to be seen if the Tigers end up dealing Wilson. However, a hypothetical trade to Texas could net Detroit some intriguing pieces.
This is all purely speculative, but Delino DeShields certainly makes sense as a fit seeing as Detroit could use help in center field.
However, JaCoby Jones isn’t too far away from playing every day and DeShields would be forced to the bench whenever the top prospect is ready to start.
Unlike in seasons past, the Detroit Tigers actually have a number of solid relief pitchers at the team’s disposal.
What’s more, standout relief prospect Joe Jimenez could make his Major League debut next year after reaching Triple-A last season.
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers Never Shopped Francisco Rodriguez1 h ago
- Detroit Tigers: Hot Stove Updates for Martinez & Kinsler18h ago
- Detroit Tigers: Five Non-Tendered Players Who Are Potential Fits1 d ago
- Detroit Tigers: Predicting Few Changes to the 2017 Team2d ago
- Detroit Tigers: New CBA is Good for the Game & for Fans3d ago