BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- CLEVELAND - Golden State can win its second NBA title in three years by sweeping the champion Cavaliers. The Warriors have won 15 in a row this postseason. Game starts 9:15 p.m.
- PARIS - Stan Wawrinka beats Andy Murray in five sets to reach the French Open final. Rafael Nadal, a nine-time champion, faces Dominic Thiem in the other semifinal.
- PARIS - Jelena Ostapenko, who as a young girl in Latvia had competing interests in tennis and dancing, plays Simona Halep on Saturday in the French Open final.
- NEW YORK - A wide-open Belmont Stakes is set for Saturday. The field includes six colts from the Kentucky Derby, a Japanese horse and some Triple Crown newcomers.
- NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Penguins, after romping to a 6-0 victory, are one win from a second straight Stanley Cup. They play Game 6 Sunday night in Nashville, where the Predators thrive.
- LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The IOC board meets to propose awarding the 2024 and 2028 Summer Games in September. Paris is favored for 2024, Los Angeles for 2028.
- LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Tokyo Olympics will feature 3-on-3 basketball and BMX freestyle cycling. They are among 15 events added to the program.
- MEXICO CITY - After beating Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 a mile high in Colorado, the United States steps up to even higher elevation Sunday for a World Cup qualifier against Mexico.
- ADELAIDE, Australia - Saudi Arabian soccer authorities apologize for ''any offense caused'' when their players refused to take part in a moment of minute before a World Cup qualifier.
- GENEVA - The Confederations Cup, the World Cup rehearsal for the host country, might not last past this month's edition in Russia. There is little attention outside the eight nations competing.
- COLUMBUS, Ohio - Butler's Chris Holtmann is hired as Ohio State's basketball coach, succeeding Thad Matta. Holtmann is the reigning Big East coach of the year.
- MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Stewart Cink is among four players tied for the lead entering the second round at the St. Jude Classic, the final tuneup before the U.S. Open.
- FORT WORTH, Texas - Graham Rahal returns to Texas coming off a Detroit sweep, making him the only IndyCar driver with multiple wins this year.
- MONTREAL - At 18, Lance Stroll is about to become the first Montreal native to drive in the Canadian Grand Prix since Jacque Villeneuve in 2006.
- A look at the top performances, surprises and upsets in the NCAA super regionals.
- KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Sheryl Swoopes, a three-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time WNBA MVP, is inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame on Saturday.