Brooklyn Nets Drop to New York Knicks After Stagnant Fourth Quarter



New YorkKnicks


The Brooklyn Nets headed to the Garden to face off against the New York Knicks. Brooklyn played well in the first half, but unraveled in the second half as the Knicks pulled away.

The much-anticipated first matchup between the Knicks and Nets took place at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night. The Nets would be without Isaiah Whitehead as well Jeremy Lin and Caris LeVert as they have been for a little while now. Would the Nets be able to pull out a win and emerge as the underdog with all their point guards injured at the moment, or would the Knicks prevail?

Want your voice heard? Join the Nothin' But Nets team!

As the game began you can tell the Nets were getting whatever they wanted, they pushed the pace and the tempo and an early Brook Lopez three summed that up. Justin Hamilton’s hot shooting would lead the Nets to a ten point lead and they would look very strong for most of the first quarter. The Nets would ride that momentum for the rest of the first quarter as the Knicks were not able to get anything to go and could not buy a basket. The Nets would lead 29-19 at the end of the first quarter.

With the ten point lead the Nets would continue to stay hot as the second quarter began. Solid play from everyone on the floor and the Nets looked like they were in a strong position to maintain that lead for the whole second quarter. That wouldn’t last long however as the Knicks would cut the lead completely before the Nets would weather the storm and keep their small lead. The lead would be five and the score would be 55-50 at the half.

The third quarter would see the Nets regain their composure. They would jump out to a nine point lead and would look very solid throughout most of the third. The Nets would keep firing and looked unstoppable. Much like the second quarter however, that wouldn’t last for long. The Nets would blow that lead and it started to look like a disgusting sight for the Nets to watch. The Knicks would come all the way back and held on for a one point lead at the end of the third. Knicks led 72-71.

As the fourth quarter began, the Nets woes would continue. They were on the opposite side of the stick now and were the ones who couldn’t buy a bucket. The Knicks’ hot shooting kept New York rolling and gave them a once twenty point lead. From then it was just a blow out and the Knicks had the win wrapped up early in the fourth quarter.

So a tough loss for the Nets sees them drop the first game in the Battle of the Boroughs 110-96. A hard fought game for three quarters, but in the end the Nets just didn’t have enough to pull out a win. The Nets will head to Phoenix to face Devin Booker and the Suns next.

This article originally appeared on