Top-ranked Mater Dei holds onto the top spot in our CIF-SS football rankings and faces a step challenge when the Monarchs travel to No. 3 St. John Bosco on FOX Sports West.
1. Mater Dei: After taking over the top spot last week, the Monarchs had to scratch and claw to hold on to it. They partially blocked a potential game-winning field goal attempt by Westlake to escape with a road win in a contest that featured two top-10 teams. Now it’s gets down to the nitty, gritty: Trinity League. Mater Dei will travel to No. 3 St. John Bosco on Friday to open up league play in the Ford CIF Southern Section Game of the Week on FOX Sports West.
2. Alemany: The Warriors sent a huge statement to the rest of the Mission League with a 55-38 win over then-No. 6 Chaminade. It was a history making night for quarterback Blake Green, who set the school record for passing yards with 437 on the night. The Warriors will try to remain unbeaten Friday when they host No. 15 Bishop Amat.
3. St. John Bosco: A meeting with City section Crenshaw helped ease the pain of the previous week’s loss at Bishop Gorman. The Braves handled the Cougars handily, 65-7. Senior tailback Joey Chenoweth had 232 all-purpose yards and three receiving touchdowns in the win. Trinity League play begins this week with a visit from No. 1 Mater Dei.
4. JSerra: It was a bye week for the Lions last week as they prepare for the task at hand. With 2014 looking like the year JSerra will finally reach the postseason, the first step in that direction is a tilt with new No. 8 Santa Margarita in the Trinity League opener.
5. Servite: The Friars, too, are coming off of a bye. Servite will open league play against No. 14 Orange Lutheran at Orange Coast College Friday.
6. Corona Centennial: The Huskies may have found its stride. Coming off of the bye, Corona Centennial made the 84-mile trek to Valencia and dismantled the Vikings 72-42. JJ Taylor rushed for two scores and Javon McKinley had nine catches for 162 yards and four touchdowns. King pays a visit Friday in the Big VIII League opener.
7. Long Beach Poly: In what was one of the more talked about games of Week 5, the Jackrabbits defeated Compton 99-9 in Moore League action at Veterans Stadium. The next two games for Poly are on the road — at Long Beach Jordan Friday followed by a visit to Lakewood.
Huge week of CIF-SS football on FOX Sports West and Prep Zone.
8. Santa Margarita: The Eagles return from the bye having moved up three spots. Santa Margarita will open Trinity League play against No. 4 JSerra which could be a telling game for both teams.
9. Tesoro: The Titans continue to impress. Last week it was a 59-38 win over San Clemente handing the Tritons its first loss of the season. Quarterback Devon Modster had five total touchdowns in the win. The road to a South Coast League title begins Friday at El Toro.
10. Chaminade: Perhaps this is what Chaminade head coach Ed Croson was talking about when he said "Welcome to the SEC" in regards to his revamped league. Following a seven-point win against Loyola, the next week featured a trip to Alemany that didn’t work out so well. Dominic Davis’ five touchdowns helped lead the Warriors to a 55-38 win over the Eagles. It doesn’t get any easier with Notre Dame coming to town Friday.