Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis dove head first into the UFC featherweight division when he took on then-sixth-ranked Charles Oliveira in the co-main event of UFC Vancouver last month, and “Showtime” is ready to make another splash with his next fight.
Pettis, who submitted a BBJ ace in Oliveira after a grueling 13 minutes, jumped up to the Brazilian’s spot in the rankings and now has an even bigger name in mind for the UFC’s huge fight card on Nov. 12 in New York City.
“I’ve made my decision,” Pettis said on Tuesday’s episode of The MMA Hour. “I think me and Max Holloway would be a great fight. He’s sitting there on the sidelines waiting for a title shot, as well. He’s No. 3 in the world at featherweight and that’s the guy I would love to see myself fighting at 145 pounds. But then at 155 pounds, there are still good fights for me, too. I just have to sit down and figure it out.”
Holloway is ranked at No. 3 in the featherweight division, but outside of current interim champion Jose Aldo, one could easily argue he deserves a title fight for his next UFC bout. The 24-year-old has won nine straight, including six by finish, and he’s done everything he’s needed to do to earn a shot at the belt. But he’s also said he isn’t holding his breath waiting for the call from the UFC.
So the newest featherweight star, Pettis, hopes he can convince Holloway to take one more bout — one that would surely be a title eliminator — under the bright lights at Madison Square Garden.