Twins prospect Sano to have sore elbow checked out
FEB 28, 2014 1:32p ET
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Minnesota prospect Miguel Sano experienced soreness in his right elbow following Thursday's intrasquad scrimmage. It took place after Sano made a throw from third base to first base, and he was later pulled from the game.
Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said that Sano will have his elbow examined Friday afternoon.
"He came in and they asked him, 'How did it feel?' and he said, 'I felt it a little bit on that one,'" Antony said. "So they took him out of the game and said we're going to get it checked out. He came in today and it was still a little bit sore."
Sano is regarded as one of the top prospects in all of baseball. The 20-year-old third baseman advanced to Double-A New Britain last year and hit a combined 35 home runs and 103 RBI between New Britain and High-A Fort Myers.
But Sano has dealt with a sore right elbow since playing winter ball this offseason. He was originally scheduled to make the short trip to JetBlue Park for the Grapefruit League opener against Boston on Friday, but he was scratched due to his elbow.
"It's not anything that's a complete, utter shock," Antony said.
It's unlikely -- but not impossible -- that Sano will make the Twins' 25-man roster out of spring. Regardless, there's still a chance he could make his major-league debut at some point during the 2014 season. His elbow could slow that process down, however, if it continues to be a problem in spring or into the season.
"We'd rather find out sooner than later, and if he gets through a week of games in where there is no discomfort, you might say, 'OK, here we go,'" Antony said. "Unfortunately, he felt a little something. Now we've got to check it out and see where it's at. . . . They'll take a look at it and figure out what the degree is and everything else and we may have to make a decision sooner than later."
Follow Tyler Mason on Twitter