Carey cleared of charges in domestic violence incident
Jun 14, 2013 at 4:44p ET
The Tucson prosecutor's office announced Friday that all charges against the nation's leading rusher in 2012 had been dropped. Carey had been charged in December with misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct related to an alleged domestic violence incident involving an ex-girlfriend.
"A key witness for the prosecution is unavailable, and even if the witness were available, there is no substantial likelihood that a judge would convict Mr. Carey," the prosecutor’s office said in a news release.
Carey is considered a potential Heisman Trophy candidate after rushing for 1,929 yards last season, and he'll enter his junior year free of the distractions that the legal proceedings might have created.
Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez was unavailable for comment Friday, but he did address Carey's situation during spring drills.
"He's progressing well and he'll be with us in the spring," Rodriguez said. "His process of making sure he shows the true person that he is still ongoing, but he's been doing well. We've got close tabs on him, and he knows that. He knows he's made some mistakes and has to prove to us what kind of person he is."
Carey participated in spring practice, but was not made available to the media for interviews.
The alleged incident occurred on Dec. 23, 2012, when the ex-girlfriend, who was pregnant at the time, said Carey had become mad after attempting to get into a room to look for a lighter to smoke an illegal substance. She said she asked Carey to leave several times, but he refused and eventually shoved himself into the room, knocking her to the floor and slamming her fingers in the door.
The incident occurred about a week after Arizona defeated Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl and after Carey finished what was probably the best season by a running back in school history. He ran for a school-record 23 touchdowns en route to becoming Arizona's 11th consensus All-American.