Packers training camp report: Aug. 5
AUG 05, 2014 7:15p ET
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Noon (Total: 1 hours, 41 minutes)
Movin' On Up:
Cornerback Jarrett Bush
Jarrett Bush is consistently a very good training camp player every year, and Tuesday's practice was certainly no exception. Bush intercepted Aaron Rodgers on an out pass intended for Jarrett Boykin. The defensive players on the sideline erupted after the play. Later, Bush blanketed tight end Ryan Taylor on a deep pass from Rodgers that fell incomplete.
Given Bush's talent on special teams, he's in almost no danger of being cut from the Packers' 53-man roster. But as he heads into his ninth season in Green Bay, the 30-year-old still has a job as a slot cornerback. That will never be Bush's primary role, but he showed last season with a Week 14 game-clinching interception against Atlanta that he can get it done at times on defense.
So You Had A Bad Day:
Offensive lineman Don Barclay
Don Barclay had the worst day that any player can have, suffering what will almost certainly be a season-ending knee injury. Barclay was bull-rushed backward by rookie outside linebacker Adrian Hubbard and had his right knee buckle.
Barclay was on the ground for five minutes while trainers examined him. When he got up, T.J. Lang had to help him walk a few steps before being carted off the field.
Head coach Mike McCarthy was standing right behind the play when it happened.
"You can definitely see he was in a compromised position," McCarthy said.
- With Morgan Burnett out with an oblique strain, the Packers' starting safeties were Micah Hyde and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Midway through practice, Clinton-Dix got himself in great position for what would've been a tackle for loss on a running play from undrafted rookie Rajion Neal.
- After being recognized Monday in the "Movin' On Up" section of FOXSportsWisconsin.com's Training Camp Report, wide receiver Kevin Dorsey dropped an easy pass from Scott Tolzien. That one mistake won't undo all of the previous good work Dorsey has put in, but he can't afford too many drops.
- Running back James Starks had a drop, as well. He was unable to come up with a simple, well-thrown swing pass from Rodgers.
- Safety Chris Banjo had a chance for an interception but didn't turn around in time. Banjo was matched up with tight end Jake Stoneburner, and while his coverage was good, he should have come up with the ball in his hands.
- T.J. Lang was no longer limited. After eight practices taking only some turns with the No. 1 offense at his right guard spot, Lang was in for every snap Tuesday. His shoulder injury improved enough over the past week to allow him to be full-go.
- Cornerback Antonio Dennard had a couple notable plays Tuesday, intercepting Matt Flynn on a pass that came right to him. Later, Dennard had an impressive pass breakup on a ball from Tolzien that was intended for Davante Adams.
- Aside from Family Night, this was by far the Packers' shortest training camp practice so far this year. The team was in game-preparation mode for Saturday's preseason opener against the Tennessee Titans.
* S Morgan Burnett (Oblique Strain -- First full missed practice)
* TE Colt Lyerla (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2 -- will be out a couple weeks)
* RB Michael Hill (Concussion -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2)
* S Tanner Miller (Ankle -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 5)
* DL Jerel Worthy (Lower back -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 9)
* DL Letroy Guion (Hamstring -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 9)
* WR Jared Abbrederis (Torn ACL -- Will miss 2014 season)
* Wednesday, August 6 - 11:45 a.m. (Training Camp practice No. 10)
* Saturday, August 9 - Preseason Game No. 1 at Tennessee Titans
Follow Paul Imig on Twitter