Bucs lose K Connor Barth for year; sign Lawrence Tynes

Bucs K Connor Barth tore his right Achilles and is out for the year, so the team signed Lawrence Tynes.

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth tore his right Achilles tendon last week and will miss the upcoming season, the team announced Wednesday.

Consequently, nine-year veteran kicker Lawrence Tynes was signed to a one-year deal.

Barth, who will be placed on the non-football injury list, sustained the injury last Friday in Wilmington, N.C., his hometown, while participating in a charity basketball event with other NFL players. He made 28 of 33 field-goal attempts and converted all 39 extra-point tries last season.

Barth, 27, has made 101 of 120 field-goal tries in his five-year NFL career, four of which have been spent with Tampa Bay. He had successful surgery Monday.

"We are disappointed to lose a productive player like Connor, but are very fortunate to be able to sign an experienced kicker at this time of year," Bucs general manager Mark Dominik said in a statement. "Lawrence and his agent, Ken Harris, had other standing opportunities, but we are pleased that they thought this was the right place for Lawrence to continue his career."

Tynes, who made his NFL debut with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2004, most recently played for the New York Giants from 2007 to 2012. At 35 years old, the two-time Super Bowl winner has converted 190 of 233 field-goal attempts in 129 games, and he has made 357 of 363 extra-point tries.

Sources told FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo that Tynes' one-year deal is for the veteran minimum of $940,000.

The Bucs open training camp July 25.

You can follow Andrew Astleford on Twitter @aastleford or email him at aastleford@gmail.com.

Send feedback on our
new story page