ASU's Sutton now a consensus All-American
DEC 06, 2012 2:12p ET
Sutton had already earned All-America honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). The NCAA recognizes the Sporting News, AFCA, Associated Press, Walter Camp Football Foundation and Football Writers Association of America for All-America honors. A player needs recognition by three of the five to be a consensus All-American. With a nod from all five, a player becomes a unanimous All-American.
With Thursday's announcements, Sutton is the 15th player in ASU history to be named a consensus All-American and the first since kicker Thomas Weber was recognized in 2007.
Sutton led the Pac-12 and ranked fifth in the nation in the regular season with 1.82 tackles for loss per game and 20 total on the season, including 10.5 sacks. He ranked third in the conference and 12th in the nation with 0.95 sacks per game.
Sutton missed two games with a knee injury midseason and sprained a toe in ASU's regular-season finale. He missed ASU's first three bowl practices but is expected to play in the Dec. 29 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. He's expected to make a decision about whether he will return for his senior season sometime after the game.
Here's a quick recap of Sutton's honors so far:
• Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year
• All-Pac-12 first-team Defense
• American Football Coaches Association first-team All-America
• CBSSports.com first-team All-America and Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year
• Sporting News first-team All-America
• Walter Camp first-team All-America
• Athlon Sports first-team All-America
• Bednarik Award semifinalist