Report: Subban, Habs not close
The Montreal Canadiens will do battle with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night, marking hockey’s return in front of a rabid Canadian national TV audience.
When the Habs do so, it’s becoming more and more likely they’ll be doing so without one of their best players.
Restricted free agent defenseman P.K. Subban has yet to sign a new contract with Montreal, and according to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, the two sides aren’t even close to a new deal.
Stubbs received a text on Tuesday from Subban's agent, Don Meehan, who said, "No news to report today. We are not close to an agreement."
While many feel that the contract will get done eventually, it sounds like frustration is starting to mount, especially with the season’s opening night just a few days away.
“We had a long summer to try and get [a new contract] done, it just didn’t happen,” Subban told TSN last week. “So as far as I’m concerned it’s out of my control. I can’t offer myself a contract, so at this point now I’m just waiting and making sure that I’m keeping myself in shape so that once I get to training camp I’m ready to go.”
General manager Marc Bergevin has stated that he won’t trade the 23-year-old defenseman. Subban made $875,000 last season in the final year of his entry level contract. Subban registered seven goals and 29 assists last season to go along with a plus-9 rating. He also added five power play goals.