Maryland Football: Tyrrell Pigrome wins it in overtime

Tyrrell Pigrome only appeared in one play for Maryland on Saturday evening.

However, Pigrome made it count as he rushed for the game-winning 24-yard touchdown in double overtime. Pigrome’s scamper gave the Terrapins a 30-24 win and just their second 3-0 start since 2001.

Pigrome found himself forced into action in the second overtime period after starter Perry Hills was injured on a running play. Hills walked off the field under his own power.

The teams exchanged touchdowns during the first overtime.

Maryland received the ball first and was determined to score on the ground. Hills ran the ball on all three plays, including a 14-yard gain that got the Terps to the five-yard line.

The senior quarterback ran to the right and was able to get into the end zone to give Maryland the 24-17 lead.

Central Florida was able to answer on a controversial touchdown catch by wideout Tre’Quan Smith. Smith went out-of-bounds but came back in and made a leaping catch and ended up falling into the end zone.

After the Knights tied the game at 24, they got the ball first to begin the second overtime. Central Florida converted a third-and-eight and got the ball to the five-yard line.

Quarterback McKenzie Milton dropped back and ended up throwing the ball backwards. It was ruled a fumble after defensive tackle Kingsley Opara fell on the loose ball.

The turnover allowed Maryland to have their chance to win the game.

Freshman running back Lorenzo Harrison led the team with 15 carries for 77 yards and a touchdown. It was the third consecutive game that Harrison was able to find paydirt.

Despite a thrilling finish, it definitely wasn’t the start that Maryland was looking for against Central Florida.

On the Terps first four drives, they gained just 31 total yards and punted four times during that span. Hills completed three of six passes on those drives.

With just 24 seconds remaining in the second quarter, the Knights capped off an eight-play, 75-yard with a four-yard pass from Milton to running back Dontravious Wilson. He was one of seven Central Florida players to catch a pass in the opening half.

The Terps were finally able to answer courtesy one of their impressive freshmen.

With 10:04 left in the second quarter, Harrison was able to find the end zone from seven yards out to tie the game.

Maryland was able to add a field goal before halftime, which was set up by a 54-yard bomb from Hills to Teldrick Morgan. Kicker Adam Greene was able to convert from 33 yards to give the Terps a 10-7 lead heading into the break.

Greene went on to miss his final two field goal attempts in the second half.

After Central Florida scored courtesy of a Milton three-yard touchdown run, Maryland answered in a big way.

The Terps embarked on a seven-play drive that included six running plays. After Harrison did the bulk of the work, fullback Kenneth Goins Jr. broke one from 16 yards out to give Maryland a 17-14 lead with 41 seconds to go in the third quarter.

Maryland managed to come back and stake their claim to a 3-0 start. It’s incredibly impressive considering the program had just three wins all of last season.

The Terps have a bye week before hosting Purdue on Oct. 1 in their Big Ten opener.

This article originally appeared on