Cards' Duncan: I'm waiting for La Russa's decision

BY foxsports • October 13, 2009

Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan said Tuesday afternoon that he doesn't know yet what his plans will be for the 2010 season but indicated there is a good chance he will return to the NL Central champions if Tony La Russa comes back as the manager.

"I think that's a big step," Duncan said, in reference to La Russa's possible return. "I want to wait and see what Tony does before I make a decision."

The current contracts of La Russa and Duncan are expiring after the season that ended with the Cardinals' loss to the Dodgers in the National League Division Series.

Duncan said Monday's meeting among owner Bill DeWitt, general manager John Mozeliak and the field staff was "very positive."

"We talked about the club, more than anything," Duncan said.

Mozeliak said that La Russa's decision was crucial to the rest of the staff.

"He's going to take some time," Mozeliak told's Ken Rosenthal. "We haven't had a predetermined length of time. He and I will talk in the early part of next week and see where he's at. It's a little bit of a ripple, domino effect from there. Once his decision is made, we will deal with the rest of the staff." senior baseball writer Ken Rosenthal contributed to this report.

share story