Report: Jarred Cosart could return to Marlins next week

BY foxsports • June 12, 2015

Jarred Cosart, who has been on the disabled list since May 14 with vertigo, may finally be reuniting with the Marlins.

According to MLB.com, the 25-year-old righty pitched what the Marlins hope will be his last rehab start on Thursday night and he's expected to be rejoin the team sometime next week.

In addition to lacking Cosart from the starting rotation, the Marlins have also been without Henderson Alvarez, ace Jose Fernandez, and Mat Latos, who is scheduled to make his first start since May on Saturday.

"We know it's going to take pitching to get us where we want to go," manager Dan Jennings said. "We know these guys are close to being back and ready to go, and hopefully they'll be a factor and put us in positions to win."

While the Marlins have been depleted of starting pitching, they hope to have most of their starters back by the All-Star break.

"Alvarez is starting to play catch now up to 60 feet, so that's a positive," Jennings said of the Venezuelan righty, who has been sidelined with shoulder inflammation. "Now he'll start to stretch [his arm] out and build up strength."

Fernandez has also been making good progress as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

"Jose has shown progression, and so far he's passed his first test," Jennings updated. "We'll evaluate after every appearance and get a true read on where he is pitch-wise and how we feel."

(h/t MLB.com)



share story