Georgia rallies to beat Georgia Tech 41-34 in 2OT

Todd Gurley ran for 122 yards and three touchdowns, including

two scores after regulation, and Georgia rallied after trailing by

20 points in the first half to beat Georgia Tech 41-34 in overtime

on Saturday night.

Gurley’s 25-yard touchdown run in the second and final overtime

gave Georgia its first lead.

Vad Lee passed for a career-high 232 yards for Georgia Tech, but

his fourth-down pass for Darren Waller was deflected by Georgia’s

Ramik Wilson to end the game.

Hutson Mason overcame a shaky first half in his first start to

lead the comeback for Georgia (8-4), which has won 12 of 13 games

in the series under coach Mark Richt, including five straight.

Georgia Tech (7-5) blew leads of 20-0 in the second quarter and

20-7 at halftime.

Lee threw two touchdown passes to DeAndre Smelter as Georgia

Tech, which usually emphasizes the run in its spread-option

offense, instead attacked Georgia through the air.

Mason completed 22 of 36 passes for 299 yards with two

touchdowns and one interception.

Georgia won the toss to start overtime and chose to play

defense. Smelter ran for 12 yards on a reverse to help set up Lee’s

scoring run from the 2.

Georgia answered with a strong dose of Todd Gurley on its first

overtime possession. Gurley had gains of 8, 11 and 6 yards on the

Bulldogs’ quick three-play touchdown drive.

Georgia Tech then elected to play defense in the second extra

period. Gurley ran straight through the Georgia Tech defense for a

25-yard touchdown run and the Bulldogs’ first lead at 41-34.

Georgia Tech’s Robert Godhigh was tackled by Leonard Floyd for a

loss of three yards to set up a fourth and 5 from the 6. Wilson

tipped Lee’s pass for Darren Waller before cornerback Damian Swann

batted the ball out of the end zone for the incompletion to end the


Georgia players then rushed the field, their dominance in the

state rivalry still intact.

Georgia Tech did not have a turnover until Lee, throwing off his

back foot, had his pass intercepted by Josh Harvey-Clemons in the

fourth quarter. Clemons returned the ball 18 yards to the Yellow

Jackets 25.

Jeremiah Attaochu’s fourth sack of the game helped force Georgia

to settle for Marshall Morgan’s 32-yard field goal for a 27-27 tie

with 4:17 remaining.

The Yellow Jackets took a 20-0 lead before Georgia scored 17

unanswered points to cut the lead to three points. Lee’s 7-yard

scoring pass to Smelter in the fourth quarter pushed the lead back

to 10 points.

Gurley’s 2-yard touchdown run with 6:37 remaining again trimmed

Georgia Tech lead to three points at 27-24.

Mason struggled through most of the first half and appeared

tentative in some of his passing decisions.

Of Georgia’s 152 yards in the half, 86 yards came as Mason

looked more comfortable running the 2-minute offense in the

Bulldogs’ final drive. Mason completed each of his five passes on

the drive, including back-to-back completions of 17 and 22 yards to

Chris Conley.

Gurley scored on a 9-yard pass, taking off from about the 4-yard

line and soaring with his body out of bounds but the ball stretched

out over the corner at the goal line.

Georgia Tech dominated most of the half. A big pass from Lee to

Waller on the Yellow Jackets’ opening possession set the pace for

the half. On third and 8 from the 26, Lee’s lofted a deep pass to

Waller, who caught the ball in stride behind the coverage of

cornerback Sheldon Dawson for a 68-yard gain to the Georgia 6. Lee

scored on a keeper from the 3.

The Yellow Jackets used another big pass play on their next

possession, a 43-yarder from Lee to running back Robert Godhigh, to

set up Harrison Butker’s 37-yard field goal.

Mason, under pressure, threw a weak attempt for Conley late in

the opening quarter that was intercepted by Jemea Thomas at the

Georgia 36. Lee’s 26-yard pass to Smelter gave Georgia Tech a 17-0

lead. Butker’s 22-yard field goal in the second quarter pushed the

lead to 20-0.

Georgia’s lost senior defensive end Garrison Smith to a left

ankle injury in the third quarter. Smith did not return.

Former Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford of the Detroit Lions

watched the game from the Bulldogs’ sideline.