Big East: Cincy beats No. 13 Hoyas 72-70 in 2 OTs

Georgetown big man Henry Sims had the ball at the top of the key

with the 13th-ranked Hoyas trailing in the final seconds.

At the end of the first overtime, he put the ball on the floor

for the tying layup. At the close of the second OT, he had to force

up a 3-point attempt from beyond his range, and the potential

winning shot missed in 72-70 loss to Cincinnati in the Big East

tournament quarterfinals Thursday.

”I’d much rather have that shot at the end,” Sims said.

The Hoyas (23-8) wasted an 11-point lead with less than 8 1/2

minutes left in regulation but twice hit last-second shots to force

an extra period. Georgetown committed six turnovers over those 8

1/2 minutes; they had only eight the rest of the game.

”We had some very untimely turnovers at key junctures,” coach

John Thompson III said. ”They got some second shots at key


In his back-and-forth big man duel with the Bearcats’ Yancy

Gates, Sims had 22 points and 15 rebounds for his second straight

double-double at the tournament. The senior had just one

double-double during the regular season and led Georgetown in

scoring in only three games before doing it twice in two days at

Madison Square Garden.

”He’s made a natural progression each year, and you see this

year the fruits of a lot of hard work that he put in starting this

summer and rededicating himself to being a good basketball

player,” Thompson said.

Gates scored 23 points, including two baskets in the final 2

minutes of regulation to give Cincinnati its first lead since

midway through the first half. His presence also drew the

Georgetown defense on the Bearcats’ final possession of the second

OT, freeing Cashmere Wright to bank in a runner with 7.6 seconds to

go for the winning points.

”It was all set by Yancy,” he said. ”They were respecting him

so much – like when he ducked in, seemed like the whole team just

sucked into him, so the hole just opened up wide open, and I just

took it upon myself to try to win the game for my team.”

After a timeout with 1:56 left in regulation, the Bearcats got

the ball inside to Gates, who scored over Sims to pull Cincinnati

within a point. Then when Wright missed a drive with 38 seconds

remaining, Gates put it back for a 53-52 lead.

Dion Dixon made the front end of a one-and-one with 25.9 seconds

to go but missed the second. The fifth-seeded Hoyas chose not to

call a timeout, and with the clock winding down, Sims found Otto

Porter open for a short jumper with 3.6 seconds remaining in


Dixon again made just one of two free throws with 19.7 seconds

left in the first OT to put Cincinnati up 62-60.

After a timeout, the Hoyas couldn’t get their offense going as

the clock dwindled. The 6-10, 245-pound Sims found himself with the

ball at the top of the key, so the big guy put it on the floor.

With long stride after long stride, he barreled toward the basket

as the seconds ticked away, releasing a layup just before the

buzzer to send the game to a second OT.

”We both were caught up on getting tough baskets down the

stretch for our team,” Gates said, ”so it was just a good battle

between two big men, two seniors, too, trying to stay in New York

for a day longer.”

The Bearcats (23-9) face second-ranked Syracuse in Friday’s


Cincinnati won despite missing 19 of 21 3-point attempts. Dixon,

who scored 22 points in the Bearcats road win in the teams’ first

meeting, was 4 of 17 from the field, 0 of 6 from behind the arc and

5 of 9 from the foul line.

The teams tied with South Florida for fourth place during the

regular season, with the Bearcats winning the tiebreaker to earn a

double bye in the Big East tournament for the first time since

joining the conference for the 2005-06 season.

Notes: This was the first multiple-overtime game at the Big East

tournament since Syracuse beat UConn in six OTs in the 2009

quarterfinals. … The game had seven ties and 18 lead changes.

Follow Rachel Cohen at