Wolves stunned by Peterborough

Peterborough made it three momentous wins on the bounce as

Wolves were put to the sword 3-0 at Molineux on Boxing Day.

Goals from Lee Tomlin, Tommy Rowe and Dwight Gayle did the

damage as Darren Ferguson’s side received the perfect Christmas

present by lifting themselves off the foot of the Championship.

Wolves boss Stale Solbakken named Bjorn Sigurdarson on the bench

following a thigh injury, but defender Georg Margreitter

(hamstring) was again sidelined following another setback on the

road to recovery.

And it was the hosts who showed the early intent when an

outswinging corner from Jermaine Pennant after five minutes was met

by Roger Johnson and his header was smartly tipped over by Posh

keeper Robert Olejnik.

At the other end, Carl Ikeme in the Wolves goal had to be alert

to turn away a 12-yard effort from Gayle as Ferguson’s side showed

their own attacking inclinations.

It had turned into a full-blooded festive encounter with no

quarter given by either side in the hunt for crucial Championship


And having weathered the early Wolves storm, the visitors took

the lead after 17 minutes through Tomlin. Joe Newell provided the

opportunity and when his cross from the left was not dealt with, in

nipped Tomlin to strike home his eighth of the campaign from 12


It could have got worse for the hosts three minutes later but

George Boyd cleared the bar when well placed inside the penalty

box. Kevin Doyle was then ideally placed to net an equaliser but

Olejnik denied the striker from only six yards.

Pennant fired over with a free-kick as Wolves looked to get back

on terms before the break, but Ferguson would have been impressed

with his side’s application in the opening half.

Solid in defence, Posh also looked potent on the break and seven

minutes from the interval, Newell had the chance of adding a second

before a well-timed block by Johnson got in the way of his 18-yard


Doyle twice went close to levelling, while Stephen Ward saw his

effort parried by Olejnik as the half-time whistle approached and

the visitors rode their luck.

But a sucker punch at the other end of the field doubled

Peterborough’s lead after 43 minutes. This time Boyd was the

provider, Rowe finishing with aplomb from 20 yards.

Ward was replaced by Sigurdarson as the second half began, with

Wolves well aware the next goal was crucial.

Pennant went close again for the home side, but it was

Peterborough’s day and after 69 minutes Mark Little’s cross was met

by Gayle to make it 3-0 and secure another valuable victory for