St Mirren secure three points

Steven Thompson grabbed a double as St Mirren ended a poor run

of results with a 3-1 win over the Scottish Premier League’s bottom

side Dundee in Paisley.

Thompson struck on either side of a Ryan Conroy penalty, before

Dougie Imrie put the gloss on the win with his first goal for the

club against 10-man Dundee.

The victory ended a run of six straight defeats in the SPL for

Saints, who headed into this clash just a single point ahead of

today’s opponents.

The visitors had an early crack at goal when Nicky Riley

unleashed from distance and his shot dipped just over the


Saints then squandered a great chance to open the scoring when a

powerful shot from McGinn was spilled by goalkeeper Rab Douglas and

Guy, perfectly placed to lash home the rebound, slipped in front of


Dundee were dealt a blow when Colin Nish was shown a straight

red card after 27 minutes for a high challenge on Paul Dummett and

the striker could have few complaints about referee Willie Collum’s


St Mirren made the most of the numerical advantage and surged

into the lead four minutes later. McLean supplied a lovely pass for

Guy, who tried to round Douglas and saw his shot blocked, before

Thompson pounced to stab home the opener from close range.

Dundee set about trying to level the scoreline in the second

half and a ferocious drive from Riley stung the palms of goalkeeper

Craig Samson shortly after the re-start.

At the other end, Gary Teale rippled the side netting, before

setting up Thompson for a close-range header that produced a

wonderful one-handed save from Douglas.

Saints were left rueing those missed opportunities when Dundee

hauled themselves level from the penalty spot after 64 minutes.

Jim Goodwin was judged to have handled a Steven Milne shot and

Conroy stepped up to convert the spot-kick with confidence, leaving

Samson with no chance.

Dundee’s joy was short-lived, however, when Saints restored

their lead with 72 minutes on the clock. Teale sent an inviting

free-kick into the box where Thompson was waiting to direct a

header into the back of the net, with Douglas well beaten this


There was no way back for Dundee when substitute Imrie lashed

low into the bottom corner to open his goal-scoring account for the

Paisley club with three minutes to go.