Shakers snap up Charles-Cook

Manuel Pellegrini hopes to bring “two or three” more new players

to Manchester City – but he wants Edin Dzeko to stay.

The new City boss will take charge of his team for the first

time on Sunday when they face Supersport United in Pretoria.

Speaking before the game, the Chilean confirmed that more

transfer activity was in the offing following the arrivals of

Fernandinho and Jesus Navas.

“We will sign maybe two or three more players,” said

Pellegrini.

City continue to be linked with a host of strikers. Sevilla’s

Alvaro Negredo and Fiorentina’s Stevan Jovetic are the main names

in the frame, while there has even been rumoured interest in Paris

Saint-Germain superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The transfer talk has led to speculation that Dzeko could be on

his way out of the Etihad, but Pellegrini insists that he wants the

Bosnian to stay.

“I spoke with Dzeko while he was on holiday,” Pellegrini added.”

He doesn’t have any problem. He’ll stay.

“For me, he’s a very important player and I’m sure that he will

give, this season, the performances we know he can.”

The 27-year-old was City’s top scorer in the Premier League last

season, weighing in with 14 goals in 32 appearances.

Sheridan released the Northern Ireland international at the end

of last season after a foot injury restricted his chances at Home

Park, but he was invited back for a pre-season trial, with the

opportunity to seal a new contract.

And the 32-year-old did his chances no harm with the only goal

in a 1-0 friendly win against Argyle’s non-league opponents.

Sheridan told the club’s official website: “He’s been biting at

the bit. He’s trying to impress me. He hasn’t played for a long

time. He came on and worked hard, and it’s always nice to get a

goal.

“It’s his first game. I don’t want to get carried away just

because he scored. I thought he did okay when he came on. It was

encouraging.

“He’s had a bad injury but he’s worked his socks off in

pre-season.

“I know what he can do. He knows how to play the game. I’ve got

some good strikers in and around the team and I’ve got good options

to play people up there, and I’m still looking at attack-minded

players.”

The 19-year-old, who was released from the Gunners without

making a first-team appearance, links up with the Shakers after

previously enjoying a trial at Bristol City earlier in the

summer.

Blackwell said: “We’ve signed him as he has some great potential

down the line.

“He was at one of (former goalkeeping coach) Fred Barber’s

soccer camps and he has been very impressed with him, we haven’t

got a young goalkeeper and Reice fits the bill.”

Charles-Cook put pen to paper ahead of the Shakers’ 3-1 friendly

defeat to Sheffield United on Saturday.

Striker Shaun Harrad, who spent last season on loan at

Cheltenham, opened the scoring in the first half before the Blades

hit back after the break.