Portsmouth 2-0 Burnley

Portsmouth climbed off the foot of the Premier League table after a fortuitous 2-0 victory over Burnley at Fratton Park on Saturday lunchtime.

Owen Coyle’s Clarets, who have picked up just one point on the road all season, dominated possession for long periods and created several chances in the day’s early kick-off.

However they were made to pay for their profligacy when Hermann Hreidarsson popped up to smash the opener before Aruna Dindane, who otherwise had a day to forget, headed home the second.

Kevin-Prince Boateng looked to have laid on a golden opportunity for Dindane to fire Pompey ahead after 11 minutes.

But the Ivorian international, who had plenty of room to shoot, appeared to think he was in an offside position and left the cross.

Steven Fletcher had a chance for the Clarets when Wade Elliott raced forward and crossed from the right. Fletcher took the ball on the chest beautifully but his shot was scuffed tamely wide.

Portsmouth then blew a huge chance to take charge when they were awarded a penalty after 31 minutes.

Tommy Smith’s cross from the right of the box was taken down by Hreidarsson, who slipped under pressure from Burnley midfielder Elliott as he went to shoot.

Referee Phil Dowd harshly awarded a spot-kick and, surprisingly, Dindane stepped forward instead of usual taker Boateng.

The on-loan hitman hit a lackadaisical effort right at Brian Jensen, who parried it away easily. Dindane followed up with an equally-tame header but the Dane gathered a second time.

Burnley continued to boss the game in the second half and Asmir Begovic twice denied the visitors.

First Kevin McDonald’s powerful drive was turned over the bar and then Fletcher’s shot was repelled as the Clarets upped the ante.

Fletcher was also close to the opener with a shot which flashed across the face of the goal before the home side took the lead.

Hreidarsson found himself in the left side of the penalty area and collected a smart flick from substitute Kanu before expertly firing left-footed into the far corner.

And Pompey should have been 2-0 up on 70 minutes when Kanu threaded through a ball for Boateng, but instead of firing towards the far post, the former Spurs man fired his shot into the sidenetting.

But Pompey did double their lead with six minutes remaining.

Jamie O’Hara’s deep cross from the left wing was met by Dindane whose downward header beat Jensen to seal the points.