Magennis rescues point for Dons

Magennis, who had endured a miserable afternoon, scored with two

minutes left as the Dons showed great character to wipe out the

Pars’ two-goal lead in the SPL on Saturday. Andrew Considine opened

the scoring in first-half injury-time but the hosts responded after

the break with strikes from Andy Barrowman, David Graham and Liam

Buchanan. Alex Keddie gave Aberdeen hope with his own goal before

Magennis made amends for missing a series of earlier chances.

Despite the blustery conditions, both sides served up a first

period full of penalty box action by keeping the ball on the

ground. Aberdeen went ahead in first half injury time when

Considine powered in a header at the back post after connecting

with Rob Milson’s corner. Craig Brown opted to replace Rory Fallon

at the interval with Darren Mackie. And the Aberdeen manager was

relieved Fraser Fyvie did not need to come off just five minutes

into the second period as the midfielder survived a two-footed

Paddy Boyle challenge that earned the Pars full-back a yellow card.

From the free-kick, Milsom, who teed up Considine for the goal,

swung a left-footed effort wide of target. Dunfermline levelled in

the 54th minute with a corner from the same part of the pitch that

saw the Dons find the net. Aberdeen goalkeeper David Gonzalez

blocked Keddie’s downward header after the defender met Willis’

set-piece but Barrowman pounced to sweep in the rebound. The Pars

then completely turned the game around in the 62nd minute with a

second goal from Graham. The winger eased past Youl Mawene on the

edge of the box and slammed a low right footed shot into the corner

of the net past the outstretched Gonzalez. Aberdeen wasted a great

chance to equalise in the 69th minute through Magennis when he

lashed a shot wide with Gallacher out of his goal and Dunfermline

added a third seconds later. Boyle’s low drive was blocked by

Gonzalez and substitute Buchanan rolled the ball into the net with

his first touch of the game. Magennis was having a torrid afternoon

in front of goal after he failed to reduce the Dons’ arrears

following a good block by Gallacher. Latching on to Fyvie’s pass,

Magennis tried to slip an effort past the keeper but an important

touch by Gallacher saw the ball drift into the side netting.

Gallacher was enjoying his duel with the striker after saving

another Magennis shot just moments later. Dunfermline should have

had a fourth in the 79th minute when Buchanan teed up the unmarked

Barrowman in the box but the striker’s shot was pushed onto the

post by Gonzalez before the ball was cleared. Dunfermline defender

Keddie ensured of a nervy finale for his team by heading the ball

into his own net from Milsom’s corner just seconds later. Aberdeen

then levelled in the 88th minute through Magennis as he pounced on

Gary Mason’s poor touch in the box and powered a low drive past

Gallacher from 16 yards. Aberdeen defender Mawene then headed

another Milson corner just inches wide in injury time.