Leicester crash to home defeat

Alan Dunne grabbed a late winner as Millwall banished any

lingering relegation fears with a 1-0 npower Championship win over

10-man Leicester at the King Power Stadium.

The home side were rocked by captain Wes Morgan’s early

dismissal, but held firm for 87 minutes before seeing their

promotion hopes suffer another blow as their winless run extended

to six matches.

Millwall were disappointingly conservative considering their

numerical superiority, but took the spoils when Irishman Dunne

popped up three minutes from time to slot home Richard Chaplow’s


Leicester’s hopes of ending their barren run were dealt a severe

blow after only three minutes when skipper Morgan clumsily bundled

into Andy Keogh and, as the last man, left referee Stuart Attwell

little choice but to send him off.

Kasper Schmeichel brilliantly kept out Shane Lowry’s 20-yard

effort from the subsequent free-kick, but Leicester reorganised

effectively and had their fair share of chances in the first


Ritchie DeLaet’s cross fell for Michael Keane, but his

point-blank header was somehow scrambled off the line by Lowry.

At the other end Schmeichel was alert to tip Jermaine Easter’s

20-yard drive behind for a corner, before a marauding run from

inside his own half by Belgian DeLaet finished with Danny Shittu

hacking the full-back’s shot off the line.

Millwall had neither the attacking inclination nor creativity to

make their numerical advantage tell and it was Leicester who

threatened again when David Nugent burst down the right and flashed

a powerful shot across goal.

Attwell’s hopes of endearing himself to the home fans who felt

aggrieved at his earlier decision went awry when he failed to spot

Hulse control the ball with his hand inside the penalty area, but

the former West Brom man was again denied by Schmeichel.

Hulse was not so lucky shortly after the half-hour mark though,

when he converted Easter’s low cross only to be ruled offside by

assistant Wayne Barratt.

With chances at a premium after the interval the game quickly

descended into a bad-tempered affair; Lions midfielder Liam Trotter

particularly fortunate to escape with only a caution when he went

in late on Jeff Schlupp.

The game looked to be petering out into a goalless draw when

Chaplow, who had bossed proceedings for much of the night, found

space down the left and although his pull-back missed all of the

visiting forwards, Dunne timed his run forward to perfection to

settle matters.