Gers bounce back to sink Well

Jelavic missed Monday afternoon’s clash at Ibrox amid suggestions

of a knee injury, paving the way for David Healy to grab his first

goal of the season on what was his first SPL start of the campaign.

Sone Aluko then opened his goalscoring account for Rangers, before

an own-goal from Stephen Craigan sealed the victory for the

Scottish champions. Dorin Goian returned from suspension for

Rangers to start along with Maurice Edu, while Lee McCulloch missed

out after struggling with a knock and Kirk Broadfoot was dropped

following the defeat to Celtic. Motherwell made one change from the

side that lost to Hearts in their last outing, with Tim Clancy

given the nod ahead of Omar Daley, while Steve Jennings was still

suspended. A minute’s silence was observed before kick-off to

remember the 66 people who lost their lives in the Ibrox Disaster

on this day in 1971. Once underway, Rangers had an early chance to

open the scoring when Aluko burst down the right flank and tried to

set up Healy from close range but goalkeeper Darren Randolph was

able to clear the danger for a corner. With Jelavic already absent,

Rangers were dealt a further blow when Kyle Lafferty pulled up

chasing a long ball and left the pitch on a stretcher after just

nine minutes, with John Fleck thrown into the action. The home side

continued to push forward and Aluko released Lee Wallace down the

left and he squared across goal for Healy but Craigan was able to

intercept and clear before the Northern Irishman could connect.

Rangers looked more dangerous in front of goal than their visitors

and Sasa Papac won a free-kick on the edge of the area but a

swerving effort from Steven Davis was comfortably held by the

Motherwell goalkeeper. Papac then attempted to turn provider with a

cross from the left for Healy but the striker’s downward header

bounced over the crossbar and the chance was lost. The breakthrough

came after 35 minutes when Edu slotted into the path of Healy, who

turned and fired into the back of the net from six yards out.

Motherwell threw Daley and Chris Humphrey into the action for the

second half but Rangers still looked more likely to find the back

of the net again. A cross from Aluko found Wallace at the back post

and he was only denied by an impressive save from Randolph. Tom

Hateley then came to the rescue to clear a Carlos Bocanegra header

off the line after the American connected with an Aluko corner. But

Motherwell could not prevent Rangers from doubling their advantage

after 55 minutes when Aluko collected a short pass from Healy and

rifled past Randolph to claim his first goal for the club. There

was no way back for Motherwell when Rangers netted their third of

the day with 73 minutes gone. Aluko had a go from a tight angle and

the effort was touched away from goal by Randolph but the ball fell

for Wallace and his shot was deflected into the back of the net by

Craigan. Wallace made way for Salim Kerkar late on and the Algerian

immediately saw a decent shot blocked, before Fleck was also denied

and Aluko eventually lashed wide of the post.