Forest hit back to grab draw

A last-gasp strike from Henri Lansbury secured Nottingham Forest

a point at home to Brighton as they drew 2-2 at the City Ground on

Saturday afternoon.

Billy Davies’ unbeaten return as Nottingham Forest manager was

preserved by an injury-time mistake from Brighton goalkeeper Casper


Forest were chasing a club record-equalling seventh straight win

but it looked like Davies would taste defeat for the first time in

eight games when Will Buckley put the visitors back in front with

five minutes remaining.

However, Ankergren, excellent until this point, allowed Henri

Lansbury’s shot to squirm beneath his body and the npower

Championship play-off rivals shared the points.

Brighton took the lead through Leonardo Ulloa’s 57th-minute

strike before substitute Lewis McGugan sparked the late drama with

Forest’s first equaliser in the 82nd minute.

Davies’ side stay fifth in the table but Albion leapfrog

Leicester and move up to sixth place.

Forest made a bright start as Lansbury played a neat one-two

with Simon Cox on the edge of the box before forcing Ankergren into

a parrying save after six minutes.

Darius Henderson kept Ankergren busy with a 15th-minute volley

and a couple of efforts either side of the half-hour mark. Radoslaw

Majewski was then denied by the Dane when he looked certain to

score from just six yards out.

Brighton were much better after the break with Ulloa cutting

infield from the left and curling a shot narrowly wide. Ulloa then

saw a volley headed off the line by Danny Collins after Forest

keeper Karl Darlow failed to hold Andrea Orlandi’s free-kick.

But the Argentine would not be denied a third time and when the

ball broke to him from the resulting corner he slotted in into the

back of the net from 12 yards out.

Darlow kept the hosts in the game midway through the second half

with a good save to keep out Matthew Upson’s header. Forest piled

on the pressure in search of an equalising goal. Cox flicked a shot

wide and another Henderson volley was repelled by Ankergren.

They made the breakthrough with eight minutes remaining when

McGugan squeezed a shot past Ankergren from a tight angle.

However, the hosts were level for just three minutes. Ulloa

controlled the ball on the penalty spot before laying it back to

Buckley who placed a low shot past Darlow.

Billy Sharp missed a glorious opportunity to equalise when

Ankergren blocked his close-range effort and it looked like their

chance had gone but a speculative 25-yard shot from Lansbury

somehow found its way into the net.