Carlo faces up to sack prospect

Ancelotti confirmed on Friday afternoon that a meeting would be

scheduled next week during which he looks set to lose his job. The

Italian continues to maintain he has no idea whether he will be

given the sack, but he will not shed tears either way. He said:

“The club have to judge my job – be objective. “If they decide to

change, it’s not a problem. “You won’t see me crying or doing

something. I will accept the decision of the club and find another

‘solution’.” Ancelotti’s week could not have been more different to

this time last year, which included an open-top bus ride to

celebrate the club’s first ever double success and saw the Italian

take to the mic for a rendition of “Volare”. Ancelotti never

imagined he would find himself in the firing line 12 months later.

“No, but this is football,” he said. “I’m not surprised about this.

“When I started my experience here in England, if someone had told

me that we would win the FA Cup and the Premier League in two

years, I’d have been happy. “In these two years, I have to be happy

because the team, last year, was fantastic. “This year was not so

good. But we can learn from this experience to do better next

season.” Despite suffering such a dramatic reversal of fortunes,

Ancelotti insists he was still able to enjoy the campaign. “I am

happy when I work, and so I have enjoyed this season,” he said. “I

trained for 15 years in this work and, sometimes, I was able to

win. Other times, I was not able to win. “But every time I was

happy at the end of the season because I’d worked. “Sometimes I’d

worked well, other times I’d made mistakes. But this is my work. I

want to stay and maintain my work.” After failing to win a trophy,

that is unlikely to happen, with Abramovich having sacked the

previous two managers who did likewise. Ancelotti’s fate was

arguably sealed when Chelsea failed to reach the Champions League

semi-final for a second successive season. The Italian hinted at

the significance of that defeat when he revealed his best and worst

memories of his time in charge. “The best memory was the (Premier

League) victory against Manchester United (last season), and the

worst the defeat against them in the Champions League.” If this is

to be the end, Ancelotti has learned plenty from his two years in

English football. “I think every time, every experience, it’s

important to learn and improve your experience, your knowledge,”

the former AC Milan and Juventus boss said. “This season was

nothing special. We had problems, as we had a lot of times in my

career. “We were not able to win the league as we did last year,

but we didn’t play at our best. “But we’re still in a good position

– we were able to reach second place.” Despite appearing to be a

lame duck manager in charge of a team which has nothing to play for

on Sunday, Ancelotti urged his players to end the season with a

flourish. “On Sunday, we want to play at our best,” he said. “It

will not be easy because the last week of training when obviously

there are not a lot of aims to reach, it’s not easy to maintain

concentration and stay focused. “But we want to try our best

against Everton and finish the season well.” And the Italian was

adamant that whoever was in charge in August would have a squad

capable of winning the big prizes once again. “I think this team,

to maintain their position at the top, doesn’t need to spend a lot

of money,” he said. “We spent a lot in January on (Fernando) Torres

and (David) Luiz, and Ramires last summer. “We won’t need a lot of

changes to stay at the top.”