Blackpool ease past Blackburn

Blackpool netted a goal in each half to see off Blackburn 2-0

and maintain boss Michael Appleton’s unbeaten start to life at

Bloomfield Road.

Rovers had more than their fair share of chances in the first

half but Wes Thomas had headed Blackpool in front by the time Simon

Vukcevic rattled the post for the visitors.

Henning Berg’s side were unable to muster anything like a

similar threat in a second half of few chances, and switched off

late on to let former Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot net a first

Seasiders goal.

Appleton has now masterminded two wins from the last three

outings, having begun his tenure as Ian Holloway’s replacement with

four consecutive draws.

The visitors were quickest out of the blocks and Seasiders

defender Craig Cathcart required a last-ditch challenge to deny

Jordan Rhodes from Colin Kazim-Richards’ cross, before Matt Gilks

made saves in quick succession to thwart Rhodes and Vukcevic.

It was therefore against the run of play when Nathan Delfouneso

crossed from the left for Thomas to glance in with the assistance

of a statuesque Blackburn defence in the 24th minute.

Dickson Etuhu had a chance to bring Blackburn level after the

half hour but shot wide from Josh King’s clipped cross as Blackpool

failed to fully clear a corner.

But it was almost all-square at the break as Vukcevic rattled

the post with a shot on the turn.

In the second half England Under-21 winger Ince appeared the

most likely source of extending Blackpool’s lead and, after

breaking free of the Rovers defence to test Kean low to his right,

he exchanged passes with Harris for the latter to fire over in the

65th minute.

Harris managed to extend Kean when the Rovers keeper pushed a

rasping free-kick behind, but the points were made safe from the

resulting corner.

Gomes’ outswinging delivery from the right found Broadfoot to

thump home unmarked with nine minutes to play.

Gael Givet thought he had a consolation but was flagged offside

before Scott Dann almost compounded Rovers’ misery by heading

against his own post in stoppage time.