Bantams keep on dreaming

Blackpool boss Paul Ince says football is becoming too soft

after seeing Barry Ferguson sent off in the 1-0 victory over

Crystal Palace.

Matt Phillips’ 85th-minute goal earned three crucial points for

the Seasiders, moving them three points clear of the drop zone, but

they had to do it the hard way.

Ferguson was sent off on 41 minutes after collecting his second

yellow card in 10 minutes.

The first was for a challenge on Kagisho Dikgacoi and the second

for body-checking Yannick Bolasie as Palace counter-attacked.

Ince said: “You start to think whether it’s going to be our day

with Barry being sent off. It’s the last thing we needed against a

very good Crystal Palace side.

“I felt it was a harsh decision. I felt the first yellow card

was right but the second one, Bolasie has knocked it 20 yards past

him and is never going to get it.

“He made a meal of it. You need to show some common sense. The

game’s getting too soft. I felt the referee got that badly


“We’ve got a great bunch of lads and they dug in and got their

just deserts as far as I’m concerned.

“It was important we stayed disciplined. The counter-attacking

worked a treat. I’m so pleased for Phillips. I was the happiest man

in the stadium when he scored that and he deserves it.

“I don’t think I can actually find the words to say how happy I

am over that performance.”

United were given a flying start when on-loan Notts County

midfielder Joss Labadie drilled the ball home from 12 yards in the

third minute.

The Gulls’ joy was short-lived though as Rory McArdle met

skipper Gary Jones’ free-kick with a header four minutes later.

City went ahead in the 18th minute as home goalkeeper Michael

Poke failed to clear well from Nahki Wells and Garry Thompson

crashed in a thumping right-foot shot from the edge of the box. And

Poke was replaced by substitute keeper Martin Rice two minutes


United central defender Brian Saah had an opportunity to level

on the half hour mark but he drove over from 12 yards as the ball

dropped to him from a scrambled free-kick clearance.

Bradford increased their lead with a textbook goal three minutes

after the break, centre forward James Hanson heading in at the far

post from Thompson’s deep cross from the right wing.