Austin gives Burnley victory

Charlie Austin ended Burnley’s goal drought in sensational

fashion as Sean Dyche’s side recorded a 1-0 victory at Charlton for

their first win in seven attempts.

Austin unleashed a stunning 25-yard drive into the top corner

three minutes before half-time, ending the Clarets’ barren run in

front of goal at 348 minutes.

The home side asserted a lot of pressure in the second period

but were unable to grab a leveller as they suffered an eighth home

defeat of the campaign.

Addicks boss Chris Powell made five changes from the side that

lost to Nottingham Forest last weekend. Goalkeeper David Button was

handed his first league start for the club and on-loan striker Jon

Obika made his full debut, while Lawrie Wilson, Danny Haynes and

Ricardo Fuller were brought in.

For the visitors, Alex Kacaniklic was named in the starting XI

after completing a loan move from Fulham, while Junior Stanislas,

Marvin Bartley, David Edgar and Martin Paterson were all


Burnley thought they had ended their goal drought after 12

minutes as Junior Stanislas threaded a ball through for Martin

Paterson, who put the ball into the net but his celebrations were

cut short by an offside flag.

They almost fell behind two minutes later as Johnnie Jackson’s

corner picked out Danny Haynes in the area but his header was

tipped over by Lee Grant.

But it was the Clarets who were on top throughout the first


Charlton failed to respond to a quick corner in the 25th minute

and Alex Kacaniklic – on his Burnley debut – collected the ball and

unleashed a fierce effort that was pushed away by David Button.

Next Stanislas broke dangerously and fed Austin down the left,

but the striker was thwarted by a lunging Lawrie Wilson, who

successfully deflected the ball wide.

Austin was not to be denied with his next sight of goal as he

notched his 25th goal of the campaign in spectacular fashion,

leaving Button with no chance from outside the area.

Charlton almost levelled immediately after the half-time

interval. A long ball from Michael Morrison was flicked on by

Ricardo Fuller towards Bradley Pritchard whose effort was deflected

narrowly wide for a corner.

Ten minutes later Button almost handed Austin an easy second as

he fumbled Kieran Trippier’s cross but he recovered to smother at

the striker’s feet before the 23-year-old could pounce.

Grant was in more assured form at the other end as he kept his

side’s lead intact with a brilliant diving save to keep out Danny

Haynes’ close-range header.

The Addicks finished strongly as they searched for an equaliser.

With 10 minutes left Haynes’ flick-on found Morrison at the far

post but he could not get his header on target and Burnley held on

for the win.