Hokies' Chaney fainted from dehydration
Virginia Tech forward Allan Chaney's collapse after a workout this
week was likely due to dehydration.
Chaney fainted after sitting down following a workout in the Hokies' practice gym Wednesday, Dr. Mark Rogers said. The 6-foot-9 sophomore forward had a faint pulse and weak respirations, and received chest compressions and breathing help from medical staff on site. An automatic defibrillator was connected but not used.
Dehydration could have caused Chaney's collapse, Rogers said.
"That's our running diagnosis and our running cause," he said.
Chaney was taken to Montgomery Regional Hospital and kept overnight. He received a battery of tests that came back normal and was released Thursday to return to classes.
Chaney, who sat out last season after transferring from Florida, will undergo heart monitoring for as long as a month before he is cleared to resume basketball training.
He will also likely have a cardiac MRI, but could be cleared "in the next month or so," Rogers said.