Villa pays price for errors in defeat by Swansea

Aston Villa paid for the price for mistakes in each half as the

Midlands club went down 2-0 at home to Swansea in the Premier

League on Monday.

Nathan Dyer scored after just four minutes at Villa Park and

fellow midfielder Wayne Routledge added his first goal for Swansea

within two minutes of the restart to give the Welsh club its first

away victory in the Premier League.

The result brought Alex McLeish’s Villa back down to earth after

a shock 3-1 win at Chelsea on New Year’s Eve, while Swansea built

on Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham with another impressive


Swansea moved up to 11th in the table, while Villa slipped to


Having finished 2011 on such a high, Villa made a terrible start

to the new year as the visitors snatched an early lead following a

blunder by Stephen Warnock. The defender needlessly lost possession

in his own half and Dyer took full advantage, collecting the loose

ball, driving into the box and firing a shot into the corner of the


The hosts looked to make a quick response, but Gabriel

Agbonlahor appeared to be put off by his teammate Darren Bent as he

headed Charles N’Zogbia’s cross wide. Swansea then went close to

doubling its advantage, Andrea Orlandi given the space to advance

before flashing a strike across Brad Guzan’s goal.

The pressure was all coming from Swansea and Villa struggled to

muster much in way of reply.

Two minutes into the second half, the hosts fell further behind,

with another error playing a role.

Guzan sent his goal-kick to a white shirt and the ball came to

former Villa man Routledge, who burst forward, laid on a pass for

Graham and then reacted swiftly when the striker hit the post,

tucking away the rebound to register his first goal for


There was no let up, with Orlandi almost slipping in Graham,

while Richard Dunne summed up Villa’s frustrations when he shoved

over Dyer, picking up a booking in the process.

N’Zogbia nearly pulled one back for Villa at the very end, but

his shot hit the goal frame and the boos rang out around the ground

at the final whistle as another home loss was confirmed.