Robins rock struggling Owls

Bristol City mounted a sterling late response to beat Sheffield

Wednesday 3-2 in the battle of the Championship strugglers which

leaves Owls boss Dave Jones clinging on to his job.

Jones, who saw his side come into the game on the back of six

successive defeats, had received a vote of confidence from Milan

Mandaric a fortnight ago, and he looked to be overseeing a home win

until the Robins’ late show.

Wednesday were leading 2-1 with 12 minutes to go thanks to goals

from Miguel Llera and Gary Madine, though Llera’s involvement did

not end there.

The Portuguese defender gave away a penalty to allow Sam Baldock

to equalise at 1-1 and then another six minutes after Madine’s


Then, just a minute after Baldock had levelled for the second

time from the spot, Albert Adomah curled in a fine 22-yard

free-kick to put Derek McInnes’ side ahead.

The drama was not done there, though, as after Wednesday

appealed for a penalty, Madine slammed home the ball, but referee

Andre Mariner, who had caused Jones much chagrin throughout the

afternoon, ruled out the effort and awarded a free-kick to


And there was no coming back from that for Wednesday, who

slumped to a seventh defeat on the bounce, which Jones will do well

to survive.

The win was City’s third in the last 15 games and keeps them in

touching distance of those teams just above the drop zone.

It had been the perfect start for Wednesday as they went in

front with just two minutes on the clock. After early pressure

Chris Lines curled an inviting corner into the six-yard box for

Llera to meet it with an unstoppable header.

But out of nothing the Robins found themselves level in the 17th

minute when Baldock received the ball into his feet in the penalty

area, he turned Llera and the big centre-half brought him down.

Marriner pointed to the spot and Baldock calmly sent Chris Kirkland

the wrong way.

Wednesday weathered a second-half storm and hit City on the

break to regain the lead in the 78th minute. Johnson broke at pace,

making up yards of ground, and fired a low shot that was too hot

for Heaton to handle and Madine atoned for his earlier misses by

slotting home the rebound from eight yards.

It was harsh on City, but they were back on level terms again

just six minutes later through another Baldock penalty, this time

after Llera had handled.

And two minutes later Adomah curled a superb effort in from a

free-kick to pour the misery on Wednesday, which was made even

worse by the late controversy.