Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have strongly refuted suggestions they are under investigation by FIFA over the transfer of players aged under 18.
Reports in the Spanish media on Tuesday claimed the two Primera Division clubs are being probed by football’s world governing body and could face transfer bans.
"We have not received any notification by FIFA or by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) regarding the reports that are circulating in the Spanish media," Atletico press officer Juan Jose Anaut told Press Association Sport.
Article continues below ...
"We want to state that we have co-operated with FIFA at all times.
"We believe we have followed the correct steps when it comes to licencing under age players as we have followed the guidelines of the RFEF and the Madrid Football Federation just as FIFA stipulates in order for licences to be approved."
Real released a statement on their website to defend themselves against the claims.
It read: "In view of last night’s reports, alluding to supposed legal sources, about a future sanction against Real Madrid for possible infractions in the signing of foreign minors, the club would like to state the following:
"1. That said information is completely false, as demonstrated by the fact that the Spanish Football Federation has spoken to different media outlets to refute the claims that Real Madrid is implicated in any kind of irregular activity when it comes to signing minors.
"2.- Real Madrid reiterates that the club has always scrupulously adhered to the FIFA regulations, as was explained in detail in the official announcement dated 26 January 2015.
"3.-Real Madrid is once again saddened by these reports, some of which are intended to cause harm, the only aim of which are to implicate the club in supposed infractions that have not been committed.
"4.- At the same time, it is surprising that certain media outlets insist on connecting the latest signings with a hypothetical sanction, as there is no relationship between the signing of players and their subsequent inscription, which is what FIFA prohibits.
"5.- Real Madrid reiterates once again its absolute commitment to the defence, protection and the correct and healthy development of minors, which take precedence over sporting interests and, as a consequence, confirms its total support of these FIFA regulations and the club’s adherence to them."
Last year, Barcelona were punished for breaching FIFA’s rules on the transfer of international players aged under 18.
The Catalan giants are currently serving a 14-month ban and cannot sign players until January 2016.
Barca appealed against the punishment to FIFA and to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) but the punishment was upheld.