Murray gives Argyle vital win

Blackburn were blown away by a first-half Dwight Gayle hat-trick

as they lost 3-2 to Peterborough at Ewood Park on Saturday.

Posh withstood a second-half fightback from Rovers to climb off

the bottom of the Championship table. They are now 22nd, a point

behind fourth-bottom Barnsley, while a fifth league game without

victory leaves Blackburn 10 points shy of the top six with their

play-off hopes in tatters.

Posh should gone ahead in the third minute when Lee Tomlin and

Gayle combined to present Danny Swanson with a glorious opportunity

that he blazed over.

As usual, Rovers’ main attacking threat came from Jordan Rhodes,

who had a shot blocked by Gabriel Zakuani and headed over from

David Bentley’s measured cross before Peterborough took an

11th-minute lead.

Jake Kean produced a fine double save to thwart Swanson but

Gayle was on hand to blast into the roof of the net.

Michael Appleton’s men almost found an instant response but Posh

goalkeeper Robert Olejnik bravely denied DJ Campbell, and Gayle

ensured he was handsomely rewarded.

Nathan Mendez-Laing comprehensively beat Rovers defender Scott

Dann before his cross to the far post was misjudged by Karim Rekik,

the on-loan Manchester City youngster getting underneath the ball

and allowing Gayle to head home back across Kean.

A porous midfield was at the root of Blackburn’s problem and

Appleton brought Bentley inside into an advanced central role,

deploying Campbell on the right flank. Moments after the reshuffle,

however, it was 3-0.

Once again Mendez-Laing was the catalyst as he danced through a

home defence offering generous helpings of time and space. He cut

back for Tomlin to shoot and Kean produced another save in vain,

Gayle coolly lifting the rebound over him to claim the


Rhodes uncharacteristically spurned an opportunity to hand

Blackburn a lifeline, blazing from 12 yards after Olejnik kept out

a Dann header, but it was almost 4-0 at the interval as Swanson

drove inches wide from distance with Kean beaten.

In the second half, Blackburn enjoyed longer periods of

possession but clear-cut chances were not forthcoming, while Rekik

produced a magnificent last-ditch tackle to deny Mendez-Laing on

the counter attack.

With 17 minutes to play, Rhodes reduced the arrears in assured

fashion – steeling in behind the Peterborough defence and

nutmegging Michael Bostwick to earn the space for a crisp


Jason Lowe had the chance to set up a grandstand finish with his

first senior goal but the Rovers midfielder flashed his snapshot


New loan signing David Jones belatedly did just that in the

second minute of stoppage time, capping a fine individual display

by curling beyond Olejnik from 20 yards, but too much damage had

been done.

The Ipswich loanee scored from close range three minutes after

the break at Home Park on Saturday, after Barnet’s defenders had

charged down two shots on the six-yard box.

The visitors had taken the lead against the run of play in the

21st minute after player-head coach Edgar Davids swept a pass out

to the left and Elliot Johnson’s cross back into the penalty area

was converted by Bees top scorer Jake Hyde.

Argyle continued to press and were rewarded when skipper Conor

Hourihane scored a brilliant 36th-minute leveller, beating three

players on the edge of the box before letting fly with a superb

rising drive into the top corner.

In a nervous finish for both relegation-haunted sides, Argyle’s

Jake Cole made a vital 79th-minute point-blank stop to deny his

former club. The keeper’s save at the foot of his post denied Bees

substitute Iffy Allen, who looked odds-on to score.

Bees keeper Graham Stack then made a superb close-range save to

deny Argyle substitute Gozie Ugwu in stoppage time.