Iron enjoy centenary victory

Derby boss Nigel Cough felt his side were unlucky to lose as

they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at high-flying Hull City on Tuesday


Goals from home debutant Gedo, within 90 seconds of his

half-time introduction, and Ahmed Elmohamady were enough to secure

the win over the visitors, who had levelled on 84 minutes through

Jamie Ward only to concede soon after.

“It would have been a thoroughly deserved point. It was a very

good away performance at one of the favourites for promotion and I

can’t ask any more from our players whatsoever,” he said.

Clough said he felt there was a handball in the build-up to

Hull’s winner, adding: “That’s two major decisions in four days

that have gone against us.”

Gareth Roberts was shown a late red card for a high tackle on

Nick Proschwitz and Clough said the Rams would not appeal the


“He’s gone for the ball definitely, but with the ball being off

the ground he has to be off the ground as well.

“We don’t usually appeal these things unless it’s blatantly

obvious, so I don’t think we will be, but it certainly wasn’t


Rovers went into the game behind leaders Tranmere in League One

on goal difference but their failure to beat mid-table Dons coupled

with Bournemouth’s victory over Crewe has instead seen the

south-coast side take the summit by virtue of a point.

It was the Dons’ first visit to the Keepmoat Stadium and they

started brightly, Izale McLeod twice firing just past a post either

side of Andy Griffin’s similar effort at the other end.

Billy Paynter blasted a good chance over the crossbar for Rovers

towards the end of the first half.

A scrappy second period hardly looked like providing a winner,

with both keepers untroubled as attacks failed to breach either


McLeod blasted well off target in the 86th minute after a home

attack had broken down, summing up a largely forgettable night for

the 6,423 present.

It was their third home win in a week and lifted them five

points clear of the relegation zone.

After being presented with an anniversary plaque from Football

League chairman Greg Clarke, Scunthorpe raced into an early 2-0


Striker Akpo Sodje headed them in front from a left-wing cross

by Mark Duffy after 17 minutes – his third goal in the last three

home games.

Three minutes later skipper Paul Reid powered home a header from

a right-wing corner by Duffy.

It threatened to be a tough night for Carlisle, who arrived at

Glanford Park unbeaten in their previous four games. But they were

thrown a lifeline in the 45th minute when midfielder James Berrett

tried his luck from long range and saw his shot squirm into the net

under ‘keeper Sam Slocombe.

Scunthorpe nearly struck back immediately in first-half stoppage

time when a header from Sodje came back into play off the far


There were chances at both ends in a frantic second half, Jimmy

Ryan and Karl Hawley both within a whisker of a third goal for

Scunthorpe, while only two excellent saves from home keeper

Slocombe denied the Cumbrians an equaliser.

Finally it was Sodje who settled things when he raced clear in

stoppage time for Scunthorpe to make it 3-1 with his second goal of

the game.