Hudson strike downs Terriers

Hudson thundered home when the ball fell to him in the penalty

area to give Cardiff, playing in their new red strip for the first

time in a competitive fixture, the three points on a night that had

looked set to end in frustration.

The result was harsh on the Terriers, who looked assured on

their return to the npower Championship, with the impressive Oliver

Norwood and Scott Arfield forcing excellent saves from Cardiff

keeper David Marshall, but it was not enough.

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay made 10 changes to the side beaten

by Northampton in the Capital One Cup, with Heidar Helguson the

only survivor.

Huddersfield had Lee Novak up front while Jordan Rhodes, who has

been linked with a move to Blackburn, was not in the squad

following his midweek outing for Scotland.

After the furore over the switch from blue to red, Cardiff

received a rapturous reception but it was the visitors who settled


They crafted an early opening down the right for Arfield from

Novak’s pass, but Marshall made a sharp, low save to deny him.

The Scotland international was called into action again after 12

minutes as Norwood was given far too much time to line up a strike

from distance, Marshall parrying his fierce drive.

Cardiff barely threatened until Jordon Mutch had a half-chance

after 20 minutes.

Helguson’s intelligent knockdown gave the summer signing room to

get away a strike on the edge of the area, but he could not keep

his shot down.

Norwood almost gave the Terriers the lead six minutes before the

break but his wonderful dipping volley was tipped away by an agile

save from Marshall as the opening half ended with a burst of


Helguson hit the bar after Ben Turner headed a Bellamy corner

back across goal, while the lively Norwood could not control Sean

Scannell’s cross after the midfielder had rounded Marshall.

Cardiff were struggling to get Bellamy and Peter Whittingham

into the game as they opted to pump the ball long to Helguson,

which the Huddersfield back four dealt with comfortably.

The Terriers continued to carve out the clearer of the openings

with Jack Hunt’s driving run to the edge of the box ending with the

full-back fizzing a strike inches over the bar.

The hosts then spurned a great opportunity on 64 minutes. Alex

Smithies failed to hold Mutch’s angled drive and Helguson looked

certain to tap in, only for the covering Peter Clarke to

brilliantly deny the forward.

It was Smithies’ turn to help out Clarke seven minutes later

after Bellamy had tricked his way past the centre-half, the keeper

making a sprawling stop to deny Kevin McNaughton from the Wales

international’s pull-back.

Marshall pushed an Arfield effort around the post from Keith

Southern’s pass while substitute Joe Mason blazed over for the

hosts with what appeared to be their last chance, until Hudson came

to the rescue.