Fenlon hopeful over McGivern

Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson has criticised Crystal

Palace counterpart Ian Holloway over his pursuit of Posh winger

George Boyd.

Ferguson claims Holloway has been bombarding Boyd with phone

calls in the hope of persuading him to join the Championship

promotion chasers when the loan window opens on Friday.

Palace last week had a bid for Boyd accepted by Posh but the

27-year-old opted to join Nottingham Forest, ahead of his proposed

switch to the City Ground collapsing at the 11th hour due to a

failed eye test.

Ferguson told the media ahead of his side’s home league game

against Leicester at the weekend: “The one thing that has really

annoyed me this week is that the Crystal Palace manager has been

constantly ringing George.

“I don’t think it is right and I’m not having it. He should not

be speaking to one of my players. It was clearly different when

everyone was chasing his player, Wilfried Zaha. He is the first

person to start moaning about it then.

“It’s simple, go through the right channels and either sign him

or don’t. He hasn’t had the courtesy to ring me so I’m not going to

have the courtesy to ring him.

“I’ll speak to the chairman and see where we take the

matter.

“Even though there is a very good chance George will be playing

for another club next week, he is currently a Peterborough

player.

“All we ask is that interested clubs do it the right way and

make a bid – as Forest did and Palace initially did.

“As long as we agree a deal we will give the other club

permission to speak to the player.”

Caretaker boss Guy Whittingham is desperate to boost his

threadbare squad having only been able to name four substitutes for

the 2-1 defeat at Scunthorpe in midweek – their eighth straight

loss.

Former Preston and QPR striker Agyemang has failed to find the

net for Stevenage this season and has not made an appearance since

New Year’s Day.

“We’re in a position where we have only got 17 players so we

need other players who might give us a different style of play,”

Whittingham told The News.

“Since Paul Benson left we haven’t had a big target man so

that’s one of the reasons we are bringing Patrick in.”

Whittingham also hopes to capture Millwall midfielder Therry

Racon on loan.

After a lengthy dispute the Bantams have been told to pay

training compensation for the striker who left the Scottish First

Division side in the summer of 2011.

The League Two side will pay ?215,620 for the 24-year-old’s

services, with the player having since moved back to Scotland with

Dundee.

City originally argued their case on the basis of differing

registration procedures between Scottish and English football

associations and confusion over his date of birth.

Falkirk chairman Martin Ritchie told the club’s official

website: “We always believed we had a strong case but it has taken

a lot of hard work from people in and around the club to get this

result and they should be applauded for their tenacity and

efforts.”

He added: “And of course, financially, it is a tremendous

boost.”

The defender pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad to face

Malta in a World Cup qualifier this week with a hamstring problem

but could train on Friday.

Tim Clancy is also nursing a hamstring injury after missing the

Scottish Cup win over Aberdeen on Sunday.

Fenlon said: “We are still waiting on Tim Clancy and Ryan

McGivern.

“Both of them did light work this morning and we’re hoping Ryan

will come into the group tomorrow and Tim hopefully Saturday or

Sunday.

“Ryan has a very good chance of making it and Tim is a bit of a

50-50 at the moment.”

The two-day wait for the game could also benefit midfielder

Jorge Carlos, who was a late sub as Honduras beat the USA last

night in a World Cup tie.

“It gives him a little bit more breathing space,” Fenlon

said.

“If the game was Saturday or Sunday the travelling might not

have done him any good so hopefully we will get him back all right

and he is fit to play.”

Fenlon also confirmed striker Leigh Griffiths would be in the

squad.

The 22-year-old was charged under the Communications Act on

Monday following a police investigation into an alleged racist

tweet.